Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > BIG Y and SNP Discovery

BIG Y and SNP Discovery This area is for talk about BIG Y results.

Old 29th November 2017, 11:25 AM
FTDNA Customer

Big Y - No Progress, Still L20

I am kind of disappointed that after pahing as much as the Big Y costs that I seem to have made no further progress. I started at L20 and ended there. Not sure what if anything to do next other than wait for FTDNA to further refine Big Y results and since they just took a huge step forward, who knows when that might be???
Old 6th December 2017, 01:31 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC7312 View Post
I am kind of disappointed that after pahing as much as the Big Y costs that I seem to have made no further progress. I started at L20 and ended there. Not sure what if anything to do next other than wait for FTDNA to further refine Big Y results and since they just took a huge step forward, who knows when that might be???
When your line becomes rare it is tough. I'm a rare version of L2 and remember testing and testing and thinking I have to be one of the known subgroups. Turns out I wasn't. Eventually I got a few matches after my Big Y came in.

Have you joined the Big Tree? There are 2 L20* kits there. But I do think there's a hold up there to related to the switch over to HG38.
Old 6th December 2017, 06:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

That raises a question. Are your Big Y results "final", and you are officially L20*? Or, are you just generic L20, and the rest of the data from your Big Y test hasn't been posted yet, that might tell you if you belong to some downstream branch below L20? I don't recall seeing anything in my own results that would indicate that all of the behind-the-scenes Big Y processing or reprocessing is complete, or if there is still more to come. How are we supposed to know?
Old 7th December 2017, 06:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC7312 View Post
There is a hold up in naming new SNPs and providing VCF files and BAM files due to a the hg38 upgrade taking too long. But you also have to take into consideration that L20 is just one relatively small subclade of R1b and there are probably less than about 20,000 people in all haplogroups with a BigY test which means that there are relatively very few people to compare your BigY results with. It won't be until another person that shares some of your currently unnamed variants gets a BigY test that you will be put into a subclade downstream from L20.

Alex Williamson's Big Tree which is only for P312 only has 5121 BigY kits for all subclades of P312.
Old 8th December 2017, 12:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

Your haplogroup designation after a Big Y may still change years later. For example, a group of STR matches I was following finally took the Big Y. At first this cluster of new Big Y testers were all R-P312. Months later FTDNA changed their haplogroup designation to a new branch. Their shared unnamed variants becamed named variants as well.

FTDNA takes some time before they can named newly found unnamed variants from Big Y tests. If you have Big Y matches and they share unnamed variants with you, then you may be in a similar boat as the group of kits I mention.

A 3rd party analysis may reveal a newer designation before FTDNA has a chance to get to you. So you may be L20 for now, but that can change as long as you have matches with shared unnamed variants. If you have no matches, then your designation won't change.

Patience is key. You can be proactive and seek out potential matches and get them to test as well.
Old 8th December 2017, 01:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
It won't be until another person that shares some of your currently unnamed variants gets a BigY test that you will be put into a subclade downstream from L20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Contemplator View Post
So you may be L20 for now, but that can change as long as you have matches with shared unnamed variants. If you have no matches, then your designation won't change.
This is the main problem. BigY is still too expensive and still not popular enough for everyone to have someone that they share currently unnamed variants with allowing them to get a new designation which also puts them into a new subclade.
Old 7th April 2018, 11:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

L20 not BY3554

Hi all Dad's kit finally has results but in YDNA and Big Y he is still L20, while i am R-BY3554
Looking at his YDNA results page it shows that he is positive for CTS9733 and also BY3554, since the results have only just come in will it take a few more days? before he becomes the same as me?
He is a match to me down to L20 and then I have no matches on the two downstream from that