Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 20th July 2018, 05:53 AM
FTDNA Customer

CMH Cohen Match badge and FF

We used the most senior family member to take the FF test and YDNA 37 test. It was said in the family that the paternal grandfather was a Jew. Of course there were no records to go by just family sayings. We decided to get the testing done expecting about 25% to show up as Jewish in FF test, it showed 22%. The Ydna he got the Cohen match badge having CMH and of course it showed lots of Jewish on comments with some listed as Cohen also.

The way I am understanding testing on FF test is that now for my grandsons their percentage would be about 5% Jewish continuing to go down in percentage. If they did a Ydna test would they also get the Cohen match badge and have the CMH? I don't understand the percentages going down so didn't know if it would also affect the Ydna. Has anyone else used senior members of a family and tested grandchildren in Ydna? Do they come out the same?

It was nice to have some new facts verifying the Jewish in the family and not just family sayings.
Old 20th July 2018, 02:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

Congratulations for confirming the family story with dna testing.

FF:
remember: dna is inherited randomly. One grandchild will inherit more Jewish from grandfather, the other one may have more non-Jewish from grandmother.
~5% is only a very rough estimate and a small %. It can even show 0% and maybe a few % of something similar, anything geographically close to Middle East.
(Ethnic estimates are only estimates, and need to be compared to matches and known family history. In your case, it makes sense as a whole.)

Y chromosome: it is special. It goes unchanged

from father to his sons, from sons to grandsons ... Yes,
they should have the same result and the same badge.
(A random mutation is possible. It means a small difference, a little error in copying dna between generations. Don't worry.)

Why unchanged? Because only men have Y-chromosome. So it is not randomly mixed with mother's dna. You have your Y from your father (and you are male), or you do not have it at all (and you are female).

Please think well before you test the younger generations. What are you going to do if a grandchild does not match grandpa at all?
DNA shows if there was a "non paternal event", and it can hurt living people.

Have you joined the Cohen surname project at familytreedna?
https://www.familytreedna.com/my/gro...n?group=Cohen&

Info about projects: https://www.familytreedna.com/my/projects-home.aspx

Here is a nice article about Y:
https://dna-explained.com/2016/04/14...rnal-ancestor/

If you wish to learn more about Y-chromosome, you can start here:
https://isogg.org/wiki/Y_chromosome_DNA_tests
Old 21st July 2018, 04:38 AM
FTDNA Customer

Emona

FF
Thanks for the information. We did have Middle East show up a small percentage 7%. The way percentages are done it does make you wonder if the grandfather would have had about 28%.

Y chromosome

Thanks for this, as you do wonder what shows up as generations go on, so this is good to know. As far as testing grandchildren, that thought never entered my mind about grandsons not matching, all are still married in the family. It was more wondering if the same badge would show up for grandsons and you did answer that for me.

Thanks for all the links. I did not join the Cohen project, I really didn't see a reason to. We never had family sayings as to what tribe grandpa belonged to. The test done did answer our question as to being Jewish though. The Y test to me is how things were done in the Bible too, I mean if you go by how things are done today using the mother it does not match. Aarons sons would have been 100% Jewish and Moses' sons would have been 50% the way things are done today with FF. That was not how it was done, it was by the house of the father.

It would be interesting to know what % of the world has Jewish show up in Y for sure. Doubt that would happen.
Old 21st July 2018, 08:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

Y-DNA - Standard Y-STR Values

Just a question on my Standard Y-STR Values, there are 2 of the numbers in my panel 1 1-12 that have red stars on them. Do you have any idea what those red stars mean?
Old 21st July 2018, 09:06 AM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyCyd View Post
Just a question on my Standard Y-STR Values, there are 2 of the numbers in my panel 1 1-12 that have red stars on them. Do you have any idea what those red stars mean?
See the "Y-DNA Standard Y-STR Values Page" in the FTDNA Learning Center. It describes the various special characters seen in the results.
Old 21st July 2018, 09:35 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATM View Post
See the "Y-DNA Standard Y-STR Values Page" in the FTDNA Learning Center. It describes the various special characters seen in the results.
Thank you, that explained it...I guess it shows up that way for everyone then.