Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 21st March 2017, 02:57 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs down Weird geographic results

I am 1/2 Italian on my mom's side, meaning up to my gr gr grandparents being Italian, that I know of.

My dad's side is English, Scottish, Irish, with a bit of Dutch and German thrown in. I can trace English back to the 1500's.

So, my "origins" show 80% mainland Europe, 11% Middle Eastern, and NO, repeat, NO British Isles.

Huh?
Old 21st March 2017, 02:22 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket View Post
I am 1/2 Italian on my mom's side, meaning up to my gr gr grandparents being Italian, that I know of.

My dad's side is English, Scottish, Irish, with a bit of Dutch and German thrown in. I can trace English back to the 1500's.

So, my "origins" show 80% mainland Europe, 11% Middle Eastern, and NO, repeat, NO British Isles.

Huh?
1. You have to take ethnicity estimates with a large grain of salt. Very large. They are generally pretty accurate at the continent level, but not so much at a finer regional level. And Europe has had a good deal of mixing over the millennia.
2. Since myOrigins doesn't have a "mainland Europe" category, I think you may mean the "Western and Central Europe" cluster. This is described in the "Population Clusters in myOrigins" page as:
Quote:
Western and Central Europe

The Western and Central Europe cluster combines nearly all of the threads of European genetic history into one. This cluster goes from the Bay of Biscay near Spain toward the Pripet Marshes of western Russia to the coastal plain of Northern Europe. The hunter-gatherer, farmer, and intruder from the steppes were forged together as one people. The French and the Germans were created by the intersection between the civilized and the barbarian during antiquity. With this diverse ancestry across the uniform plain, a relatively unified cluster was born.

Western and Central Europe represents the diverse groups brought together over the past 5,000 years, as Germans, Celts, and Slavs have moved in with their cattle, and the Romans brought their mills and cities. This cluster is common among many populations with Northern European heritage. Germanic migrations after the fall of Rome guaranteed its presence in the south. The people on the European Coastal Plain of Western and Central Europe are at the heart of recent history. Being the engines behind the Great Powers of the age, they became the dominant actors in the colonization of the world.
A possible explanation might be that the British isles, including Ireland, had various invasions by continental Europeans ("German" tribes, French/Normans, and Celts, among others, such as Romans to Britain), all leaving their population genetic signatures, so that could be why you received the results you did. Also, you say of your mother's ancestry is Italian (possibly indicated in part by the Middle Eastern), but what is the other half? Dutch and German are on the continent, too.

You may want to download your concatenated raw file from FTDNA, and upload it to GEDmatch.com, to try out other ethnicity predictors there.