Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 11th October 2016, 04:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

I like the new Pedigree View, but

it's a shame that the old way of looking at the tree with only ancestors shown vertically seems to be gone. When looking at trees I would immediately switch to the Ancestors' view, select about 6 generations and then reduce the size until it showed when and where people were born. It takes a lot more clicking now to see that information when there are 30+ people on a tree only to find none of them are from the continent, let alone country, that I am interested in.

I'd like the old view to remain as an option.

Also, if we can now look at the tree on its side, it would be good to be able to see more than 4 generations at a time.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 11th October 2016, 04:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

Ancestry View was not something that should have been deleted.

My usual way looking at someone's tree is to set to Ancestry, change to max generations, and scan surnames at the top. Now, with pedigree, I'm supposed to click on every single individual pedigree strand to trace them, and even then it doesn't go all the generations out?

This is not an improvement. This is sabotage.
Old 11th October 2016, 05:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewsloth View Post

My usual way looking at someone's tree is to set to Ancestry, change to max generations, and scan surnames at the top. Now, with pedigree, I'm supposed to click on every single individual pedigree strand to trace them, and even then it doesn't go all the generations out?
Yes, exactly.

Most of the time I don't recognise a surname, but I might recognise a village in Yorkshire. Now there's no way to quickly scan where people think their ancestors are from or their dates of birth without clicking on e..v..e..r..y s..i..n..g..l..e o..n..e.
Old 11th October 2016, 05:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

At last! The horizontal pedigree view has been on many people's wish list since the last big "upgrade" made the family trees almost unusable. However, the display can and should be improved to include place names, as is done by other web sites. Even without place names, this change greatly improves usability. It is no longer necessary to spend a lot of time trying to move the display around in an attempt to locate the next ancestral generation. The ancestral names can now be viewed in a couple seconds.
Old 11th October 2016, 07:00 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Great!!! I love it!

But why does it always take so long to load, if it loads at all? Am I the only one who has problems with the amount of time it takes and some trees never loading at all? It doesn't matter what view.

It would be nice if they would put the name of the person's tree at the top. I had to leave my computer and when I came back I had no idea whose tree I had loaded.

And it would be really nice if we could set the view we prefer as the default view so we wouldn't have to wait for one view to load before we could switch to our favorite view. Different people prefer different things. Of course, if each view would load in a second, it wouldn't matter, but I hate sitting here waiting and then sometimes it never loads even if you leave it for half an hour.

And, of course, it would be nice if we knew which trees contain only a single person! Or better, if we could tell how many people were in the tree.
Old 12th October 2016, 01:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

You are not the only one to see slow or no loading...

I usually give up, as this feature randomly stalls beyond my limit (about 5 minutes). There are many things about the presentation already mentioned here that I do not like, but the main problem is just getting to see the thing.
(I was a PC support person for over 20 years and have some background in judging these things from both the user and programmer side.)
Old 12th October 2016, 01:25 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

I usually give up too after a few seconds, but I decided to leave one tree once just to see how long it took and it never loaded.

Some of them do load however. But all of them should!

I'm not a computer person, but if Ancestry and other websites can get their trees to load almost instantaneously, why can't FTDNA?

Why do they think people pay for high speed internet service? If we enjoyed sitting around waiting for pages to load, we'd still be using dial-up!
Old 12th October 2016, 08:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

The trees load quickly for me, but only 4 generations. Then I have to go through each line and click on it to see more generations. What a waste of time.

I also get quite a few "You do not have permission to see this tree". Why....
Old 13th October 2016, 11:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Unhappy locations? PLEASE??!!

I do prefer the new horizontal view. but PLEASE, PLEASE put locations back on the display and allow us to see more generations! As someone else said, sometimes you don't recognize a surname, but a location will tip you off to a possible connection. With some surnames, they're common enough that if it isn't in one of your locations, it doesn't bear time even clicking on. I would venture to say that by 150-200 years ago the vast majority of our ancestors came from small, ENDOGAMOUS villages or communities. Therefore, a location is extremely helpful. MORE helpful than surname.
Old 14th October 2016, 01:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

New pedigree chart

Hear hear! What I do like is that for me these seem to load much faster and more reliably than the old ones, where half never would load at all, the rest far too slow. But with the old format I would (if I got a tree at all) increase the generations and click on Show detail so the locations would all be visible at once, which as people have said, is a HUGE time saver.