Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Recreation Room

Recreation Room This is a good place for chatting about off topic subjects and just having fun together. Keep the humor PG13 and things friendly please.

Old 8th November 2017, 08:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

No trees for my matches with Swedish families!!!!

I have noticed that a big part of my matches doesn't have a family tree. So irritating! And when I try to get in contact-no answer. It can depend of many reasons, but I have been thinking that the matches maybe doesn't HAVE a tree? Maybe they haven't done their "paper genealogy", just taken a DNA test? Since I am a professionel genealogist I could offer my services to those with Swedish roots. But how? Do you folks have any idea of how I can let "tree lacking matches" know that I exist?
www.ourswedishroots.com
Old 9th November 2017, 07:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

Exclamation Look at the Name

The name of the product is "Family Finder". Doesn't that mean it will find their family for them!

Sorry, I agree with you. No tree, no list of surnames, no most distant known ancestor and no replies.
Old 9th November 2017, 07:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

It is frustrating for us who want to climb in trees, and my idea was that I could help at least those with Swedish roots to get a proper tree...
Old 9th November 2017, 10:19 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourswedishroots View Post
It is frustrating for us who want to climb in trees, and my idea was that I could help at least those with Swedish roots to get a proper tree...
Lots of people who are not really interested in matching took the test for ethnicity. Some lost interest. Many just do not know much past their grandparents. Some have trees which go back, but have false information. Good trees are hard to find, even among those who are interested in genealogy.

Jack
Old 9th November 2017, 10:29 AM
FTDNA Customer

True. And I respect that some people took their tests only for ethnicity. Still irritating though, for us curious persons to not be able to climb...
Old 9th November 2017, 11:36 AM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

And it is very frustrating!!! A few years back I had to limit the amount of people I contacted at one time so that I'd have time to answer all the email.

Now I can send off dozens of emails in a very short time, knowing that only 1 or 2 will answer - and that's at all 3 companies equally!

Last week I identified a 25 cM segment as coming from a great-grandparent, all of whose grandparents are unknown, and began contacting everyone matching on that segment at FTDNA and at 23andMe and those at Gedmatch who are on neither list (mostly Ancestry people). I've had very few replies. The 1st to reply said she was a professional genealogist and would get back with me once she checked which other members of her family I matched. I haven't heard from her again. Maybe she's busy.
Old 9th November 2017, 02:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

You see why I want to offer my services to people without trees! Then we curious persons could do the job by ourselves.
Old 9th November 2017, 03:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

One of the roadblocks some may have with Swedish ancestor (Scandinavian) is the name change when they came to North America.

My mothers paternal Grandmother was born in Sweden, but all records I found on her just displayed her Anglicized Name. Her immigration did list as coming from Goteborg
It took me awhile (with aid of DNA) to determine her branch of tree. She went by Marie Carlson on all records in North America but her swedish name was Maja Stina Karlsdotter/Carlsdotter.
I was lucky enough to come across a Swedish history book (Match in Sweden shared it) of the families in the area she grew up, which gave a fair amount of information (and pictures) about her family (even listed she emigrated to USA the same time I had from her immigration)

Last edited by prairielad; 9th November 2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 9th November 2017, 03:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

I think that is a problem for everybody with immigrant ancestors from other countries than those with English language. Most changed their names to fit better into American society. Though I wonder if that's the reason why so many do not add their family tree...?
Old 1st December 2017, 11:53 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourswedishroots View Post
I think that is a problem for everybody with immigrant ancestors from other countries than those with English language. Most changed their names to fit better into American society. Though I wonder if that's the reason why so many do not add their family tree...?
Probably not. I can understand why some don't post family trees. I don't, as my trees are huge and I don't want others copy & pasting them at will. However, I DO post the names and locations for all my ancestors. IMO that is just as important and one of the best features found here. Names & locations are easier to review than scrolling through family trees, which is a slow process.