Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Recreation Room

Recreation Room This is a good place for chatting about off topic subjects and just having fun together. Keep the humor PG13 and things friendly please.

Old 5th December 2017, 10:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolam View Post
I have tested with 23andMe (I uploaded to FTDNA), and my 3 closest matches there don't reply to messages so I can't find out where we match. They are just ignoring me, but I've also had several requests to compare genomes declined. I have fewer matches on FTDNA but at least I can compare them in the chromosome browser.
My experiences run close to yours.

FF testees are a pathetic lot for replying, IMO. I have not had that much success with them. To me they are just wasting their money if they don't join in on our research, IMO.

Good hunting,

Cliff.
Old 13th December 2017, 02:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

For sheer size of a data base on strictly the Autosomal testing, Ancestry has the largest base. Over there, I have almost 50,000 cousin matches while here I have almost 4,000. I find that the number of matches is going up far quicker over at Ancestry, especially after a sale. The FTDNA match list is increasing but at a slower rate.

Many of my matches here I also see over at Ancestry. They transferred from there to here. I find doing a tree is much easier with the Ancestry program, though I do keep a bare bones pedigree tree here.
Old 13th December 2017, 04:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

302,468 37-marker records in the database

https://www.familytreedna.com/why-ftdna.aspx

FTDNA has 642,351 Y-DNA records in the database

over 300,000 in the 37-marker Y database and 281,589 mtDNA records in their database...
Old 16th December 2017, 07:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
You have a chromosome browser at 23andMe, though it works a little differently.
The point is that if people on 23andMe won't share their data, you can't compare them in the chromosome browser. And in my experience, many people on 23andMe don't share, and it's very hard to get a response from matches. Very frustrating!
Old 28th December 2017, 08:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_dakin View Post
The point is that if people on 23andMe won't share their data, you can't compare them in the chromosome browser. And in my experience, many people on 23andMe don't share, and it's very hard to get a response from matches. Very frustrating!
A lot of people are open sharing now at least over there. And you can see their ancestry comp, something you can't even do here at all.

I thought people would be better at responding here and that more people would put up or link trees and so on, but to be honest, I don't find any of that stuff any better here than at 23.
Old 29th December 2017, 07:55 AM
R-BY39877

How many "Anonymous" matches do you have at 23andMe? How many do you have at FTDNA? How many of your matches at 23andMe provide their email address? How many of your matches at FTDNA provide their email address? How many of your matches at 23andMe have a tree on line? How many of your matches at FTDNA have a tree on line?

I have more in each of these groups at FTDNA than I do at 23andMe. I wish all of my matches at both places provided GOOD trees, GOOD surname list and a GOOD email address. I know 23andMe doesn't share email address, which I think is a very poor decision, but the customers at 23andMe can include their email address in their personal information.
Old 10th January 2018, 10:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_dakin View Post

I totally agree. Their website is also difficult to work with. If you want health info upload your DNA to Promethease.
Old 10th January 2018, 11:41 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Do you know how to find your "Anonymous" matches at FTDNA using the advanced matching tool? What can you do with them? You can't even attempt to contact them. You can at 23andMe. And you can also see what matches you have in common with them. Here you might see their last name and haplogroup.

I abandoned 23andMe totally after they introduced the new experience, or whatever it was called, but I went back to it several months ago and decided I like it. I get more responses there than I do here. A few years ago almost everyone who tested here would reply to my email. Now the response rate here is almost zero, as bad or worse than Ancestry.com. And few people list surnames or have trees, but that's the case everywhere now.

But the worst thing (and it's not FTDNA's fault) is that it seems like if anyone is anywhere near closely related to me, they test anywhere but here. I get pages and pages of 5th to remote cousins! And I have to wait weeks to get 2 or 3 new ones.

I tested my mother at all 3 companies and she now has 13 matches descended from her great-grandfather, but only 2 of them tested here, and I paid for the test for one of them. The other I persuaded to test in 2011. 3 are at 23andMe, the rest at Ancestry. Dozens of Harprings at Ancestry, one here, etc.

If Ancestry had a chromosome browser, it would be the best company of all. Some brick walls might have come down by now if Ancestry had a chromosome browser.
Old 11th January 2018, 10:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
I abandoned 23andMe totally after they introduced the new experience, or whatever it was called, but I went back to it several months ago and decided I like it. I get more responses there than I do here. A few years ago almost everyone who tested here would reply to my email. Now the response rate here is almost zero, as bad or worse than Ancestry.com. And few people list surnames or have trees, but that's the case everywhere now.
The "new experience" was a disaster, but to their credit they finally got things working, although it took several years to rectify the problems. As for the response rate here being low, I suspect it is due to the recent influx of free transfers. Few list any surnames and locations, and that shows a lack of interest in genealogy and determining how you are related to your matches.

Quote:
But the worst thing (and it's not FTDNA's fault) is that it seems like if anyone is anywhere near closely related to me, they test anywhere but here. I get pages and pages of 5th to remote cousins! And I have to wait weeks to get 2 or 3 new ones.
With such a relatively small base of customers at FTDNA, who can blame them? I have tested my family members, first at 23 then some at Ancestry, then did the free transfer here. I too get pages of remote cousins, and there is no way to ever determine how we are related - especially if they have no interest in genealogy. It is a sad reality that FTDNA is trying to play catch-up to the other sites. Even the offer of free transfers isn't attracting those who are primarily interested in genealogy.

Quote:
If Ancestry had a chromosome browser, it would be the best company of all. Some brick walls might have come down by now if Ancestry had a chromosome browser.
Ancestry has a very clever and profitable marketing strategy. The separation of the DNA testing section and their perpetual subscription fees for access to the section containing records lures people in and provides an endless income stream. Actually I dislike Ancestry most, because it is geared toward attracting those for whom genealogy is a passing curiosity at best. The use of code names to protect a member's "privacy" and provide anonymity at any of these sites doesn't promote communication or mutual trust, either.
Old 12th January 2018, 11:11 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Ancestry has a very clever and profitable marketing strategy. The separation of the DNA testing section and their perpetual subscription fees for access to the section containing records lures people in and provides an endless income stream. Actually I dislike Ancestry most, because it is geared toward attracting those for whom genealogy is a passing curiosity at best. The use of code names to protect a member's "privacy" and provide anonymity at any of these sites doesn't promote communication or mutual trust, either.

I tested with Ancestry, FTDNA and 23&Me. When I tested with Ancestry it was Beta and offered to long-time members for $10 to build their data base . It was only ethnicity at that point, I think. That was many years ago

One reason Ancestry sells so many kits is they are a by-word for ancestry research. When someone decides to be tested who hasn't been involved with much genealogy research they will automatically think of Ancestry. Think of it like this. When someone first wants to buy auto insurance where do their thoughts first go to? Allstate, Geico, State Farm?

Another reason they sell so many kits goes along with what you said...their very large research base and those who have paid for subscriptions on Ancestry for years. They want the matching there first and then they will transfer to FTDNA and upload to Gedmatch. It's a no brainer.

However, your remark that Ancestry is for those who have a passing interest in genealogy at best is quite ridiculous. I don't think their huge base of people paying almost $400 a year for many years would be people with a passing interest or curiosity.

Also, I have several kits on FT and they all have code names

I love FTDNA but sad to say if Ancestry had a chromosome browser they would probably leave FT in the dust.

Last edited by Tenn4ever; 12th January 2018 at 11:17 AM.