Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 7th July 2012, 10:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

Results are in

Okay. Had the test performed on my father - we are trying solve the mystery of who his great grandfather was by locating a genetic match. We have a multitude of cousins that have popped up. Nothing closer than 3rd cousins, one surname match and quite a few matches to our surname in the ancestral surnames column.

I have e-mailed quite a few cousins. Any suggestions on where I might best concentrate my "detective" efforts?
Old 7th July 2012, 11:48 AM
FTDNA Customer

First you need to identify which matches are from the known genealogy and which are potentially from the unknown side.

Do you have a putative great grandfather in mind or is he a total unknown?

With a target person in mind you can look for matches that connect to your target's tree.

In addition to that, you can use triangulation - look for two or more matches who also match each other and try to figure out what they all have in common (people, surnames, locations). If you have two or more people who match each other AND they all share a long segment with your father (at least 15cM) then you are all likely to have descended from the same ancestor.

The idea behind triangulation is to identify as many common ancestors as possible (from grouping your matches) and use genealogical methods to find where a descendant of one match group's common ancestor marries a descendant of another match group's common ancestor. Then you research the descendants of that marriage.

Each new identified common ancestor will either corroborate another common ancestor (example - the newly identified common ancestor is the grandfather of another identified common ancestor) or will take you up another line where you can connect those descendants to the tree you're building.

It is a lot of hard work and sometimes you just can't find enough suitable match groups to research. But more matches are posted each week.

Gaye
Old 7th July 2012, 04:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you Gaye!! That actually helps some. There are soooo many matches. How can I figure out, in that list, matches someone else in my list.

The person we are looking for is a total unknown. We are looking for my great, great grandfather at this point. All we have is his mother's name, and it's her married name at that.

Old 7th July 2012, 06:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

There are two ways to find out who matches whom:

1. Ask a match to share their match list.

2. Assign a "Known Relationship" of Distant Cousin to a match and then use the In Common With feature to see who you have in common. You can also use the Chromosome Browser to see which matches share a common segment.
Old 7th July 2012, 08:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Okay. I have a question. We have had both Y-DNA up to 67 markers and the FF done. Is is safe to say that if there is a match showing in FF but the Y-DNA says there is 0 possibility of a common ancestor then that person does NOT match on the paternal side of things?
Old 7th July 2012, 08:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

Here's a little more information on the above. Looking at the chromosome browser, person X shares 17 segments, on chromosome 19 for a total of 40.08 cM BUT there is NO match on Y-DNA.
Old 7th July 2012, 09:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmom6 View Post
Okay. I have a question. We have had both Y-DNA up to 67 markers and the FF done. Is is safe to say that if there is a match showing in FF but the Y-DNA says there is 0 possibility of a common ancestor then that person does NOT match on the paternal side of things?
yDNA is only passed father to son, so yDNA would only match to the direct male line of line tested

So that being said any of the spouses ancestral line who had children with direct paternal line will match also as children would of receive half their DNA from that parent also.

Same goes for daughters of paternal line, they will show up as a FF match

This matches will be a FF match from paternal line but will not match in yDNA as only males carry the yDNA
Old 7th July 2012, 11:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Not sure if this is the right place to ask my question, or if I needed to start a new thread. I just got my family finder results in yesterday. Is it about average for when you do the test to have 61 matches?

And the closest I get is a suggested 4th cousin, and with that I only have 3 matches.

I think I was expecting more because with my mtDNA plus matches, I'm now up to 2,168! (Which that number is overwhelming!)

I understand that they are two different tests. I think I read in another thread that certain populations ie Jewish will have more matches?
Old 7th July 2012, 11:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1796 View Post
I think I read in another thread that certain populations ie Jewish will have more matches?
Yes, I'm past 1300 now, but most are meaningless.
Old 8th July 2012, 10:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

Okay, so the results could still be from the paternal line, it would just have to be one of the females on that side, not the males. Got it. I think

I have 275 matches, none closer than 3rd cousins which actually puts me in the ballpark where I was hoping to be. Now, just to figure out where we intersect with the matches.