Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Recreation Room

Recreation Room This is a good place for chatting about off topic subjects and just having fun together. Keep the humor PG13 and things friendly please.

Old 4th May 2017, 12:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

How do I manage a Y test for my brother

I hope someone can help me please. I have received the kit and it's in my name - do I sign the release form as it will be my email that will be used or does my brother have to sign the release even though I will be administrating his sample?
Can I change the name once the results are through?
And finally where do you add another kit or is it a different log in altogether linked with his kit number?
Thanks
Lesley
Old 4th May 2017, 06:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

Managing a kit for someone else

1.The consent form should be in his name and he should sign it. This is after all his DNA.

2. You can still use your e-mail and mailing address on the account. But you should probably put his name on the profile instead of yours to help keep the accounts straight. (So you know which account you are logged into) You can also have multiple e-mail addresses associated with an account.

3. Each kit has a unique user code and password - FT must have already sent you that when they mailed the kit. You can both share the log-in info if you wish.

4. Log in to his account and be sure you see a "male" profile. If not, be sure to contact FT to get it changed.

5. As you are doing the set-up for his account, be sure to put in a surname list with locations, put in most distant ancestors, etc. It may really help later and is a courtesy to matches.

My family uses a single c/o mailing address for all kits plus multiple e-mail addresses. We have the same beneficiary (not the primary address person)listed on all kits except her own. Some want to share the log-in info, others don't use computers much or are intimated by the FT interface. They just want screen grabs plus digested summaries. If you share log-ins, be sure everyone agrees not to change the passwords. I'm now experimenting with screen grabs as t-shirts.
Old 4th May 2017, 07:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuelita View Post
3. Each kit has a unique user code and password - FT must have already sent you that when they mailed the kit.
You should have received an e-mail which says something like:

Thank you for ordering the Family Finder, Domestic Shipping tests. Your kit number is xxxxx and your password is xxxxxx.

That is not only the necessary log-in info, you need to check that the bar codes on the vials and consent form match the kit number given in the e-mail.
Old 5th May 2017, 04:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartanswan View Post
Can I change the name once the results are through?
You can change the name at any stage.

Quote:
And finally where do you add another kit or is it a different log in altogether linked with his kit number?
I'm not sure what you mean here. If by "add another kit" you are referring to somehow linking your brother's kit to yours, you can't. As abuelita has said, your brother will have a different kit number, and you will have been emailed a password for his kit. The only way to "link" profiles, in a way, is to change them so they both have the same password so that you don't have to remember separate passwords.

If by "add another" you actually mean that you want to add a test to someone who has already ordered a kit (for example, getting Family Finder for your brother) the easiest method is to log in using his kit number and password, and use the "upgrade" option near the top right.

If by "add another" you mean add a new kit for a third person, it's possible to do that from your own profile or your brother's but I don't recommend that method: it's easy to make a mistake. It's safer to log out completely and then start from the FTDNA home page as if you are a completely new customer. Always remember that even if you use your own name and address to get the new kit mailed to you, if the kit is for a male then you need to mark it as male.