Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Basics

Old 10th December 2017, 10:51 AM
FTDNA Customer

Database size

Just for clarification, FTDNA states this:

"Our databases are the most comprehensive in the field of Genetic Genealogy. As of December 10, 2017, the Family Tree DNA database has 923,929 records. Total numbers include transfers from the Genographic Project and resellers in Europe and Middle East."
https://www.familytreedna.com/why-FTDNA.aspx

I know it doesn't state that it includes all transfers (but the Geno project and "resellers"? MyHeritage?), but I contacted someone at ISOGG about updating their figure and was told all transfers are included in that figure and, by his estimation, FTDNA really has 500,000 people in their database.

So does anyone have a breakdown of the actual figures? And why is he assuming /all/ transfers are included in that figure? Am I misunderstanding something in the statement?

Also, shouldn't the figure listed on ISOGG be the full database size, including all transfers? Why would they only want to list the tests directly done at FTDNA? Unlike most of the other companies, FTDNA accepts transfers. They are available to matches in the database. I don't see why the figure they show shouldn't include them.
Old 10th December 2017, 11:11 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniara View Post

"Our databases are the most comprehensive in the field of Genetic Genealogy. As of December 10, 2017, the Family Tree DNA database has 923,929 records. Total numbers include transfers from the Genographic Project and resellers in Europe and Middle East."

I know it doesn't state that it includes all transfers (but the Geno project and "resellers"? MyHeritage?), but I contacted someone at ISOGG about updating their figure and was told all transfers are included in that figure and, by his estimation, FTDNA really has 500,000 people in their database.

So does anyone have a breakdown of the actual figures? And why is he assuming /all/ transfers are included in that figure? Am I misunderstanding something in the statement?

Also, shouldn't the figure listed on ISOGG be the full database size, including all transfers? Why would they only want to list the tests directly done at FTDNA? Unlike most of the other companies, FTDNA accepts transfers. They are available to matches in the database. I don't see why the figure they show shouldn't include them.
If you look at the numbers that are shown by FTDNA you will see that the autosomal (Family Finder) numbers aren't shown at all. Those are only the numbers for the Y-DNA and mtDNA tests. FTDNA chooses not to publicize their autosomal database size so the numbers shown by ISOGG are just a guesstimate.
Old 10th December 2017, 11:23 AM
FTDNA Customer

I see. I wonder why they haven't publicized the figure.

Even so, it would make more sense to just say he doesn't know. His figures are quoted as facts to sway people against testing at FTDNA.
Old 12th December 2017, 10:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

If I had to guess ftdna's database size since may 2010 to now I would say 1.5 million averaging 200,000 a year with out transfers
Old 12th December 2017, 11:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Transfers are around 200,000 so total size 1.7 million
Old 21st January 2018, 10:40 AM
FTDNA Customer

Definitely not a large enough database which can be contributed to the large market competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniara View Post

Old 22nd January 2018, 06:45 AM
FTDNA Customer

ISOGG'S Autosomal DNA Comparison chart gives FTDNA an estimated 700,000 autosomal customers... still too low in my opinion. Afterall, My Heritage is claiming nearly 1.1 million customers.
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelch View Post
ISOGG'S Autosomal DNA Comparison chart gives FTDNA an estimated 700,000 autosomal customers... still too low in my opinion. Afterall, My Heritage is claiming nearly 1.1 million customers.
Ftdna has way more than my heritage all that 1.1 million at my heritage was tested through ftdna along with ftdna's customers

Old 22nd January 2018, 02:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

Actually, My Heritage claims that the vast majority of the people in their database are those who bought kits from them, with uploads making up only 20%.
Old 22nd January 2018, 03:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

Wrong again ftdna does all of my heritage dna test for them i repeat all of them its part of there partnership my heritage doesnt have there own dna lab