Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 5th April 2017, 02:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

My Origins 2.0 : what is West and Central Europe for FTDNA

Hi !

Does anyone knows what are the reference populations for this specific region ?
I used to have 20% SE which was logical according to what I know about my ancestry. But now I only have W/C European with a little of SE European but according to what I know, I should have some Iberia, even as a trace region. My aunt got 20% Iberian with 23andMe and my great great grandmother was supposedly from this area, maybe Basque.

I am very confused ...

Thanks a lot
Old 5th April 2017, 02:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

In the description they say: "The West and Central Europe cluster consists of present day countries of France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, and Germany. Modern humans began to populate West and Central Europe toward the end of the last ice age, when the ice sheets north of the Mediterranean coast began to retreat."

I used to have 37% W/C European but now I score only 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchMelissa View Post
Hi !

Does anyone knows what are the reference populations for this specific region ?
I used to have 20% SE which was logical according to what I know about my ancestry. But now I only have W/C European with a little of SE European but according to what I know, I should have some Iberia, even as a trace region. My aunt got 20% Iberian with 23andMe and my great great grandmother was supposedly from this area, maybe Basque.

I am very confused ...

Thanks a lot
Old 5th April 2017, 02:53 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

There is an updated description of all the Population Clusters in myOrigins in the Learning Center, which are the same as what is shown if you have a particular cluster in your own myOrigins results. That page doesn't have a new date, but the old version was dated May 6th, 2014 (for the first version of myOrigins).

The myOrigins Methodology Whitepaper has not been updated. It still shows the original 36 reference populations used in the myOrigins 1.0 (as "6. Table of reference populations" - these are not broken down by cluster). I thought I'd heard a new number for reference populations for FTDNA, but that was some time ago. I'll post if I come across it.

Last edited by KATM; 5th April 2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 5th April 2017, 03:18 PM

The blog "Roots & Recombinant DNA," by TL Dixon in March 2016, had a list of the reported coming reference populations for FTDNA's next version of myOrigins (2.0). This was "revealed during" the presentation "Populations in Autosomal DNA," by Razib Khan at the Family Tree DNA 11th International Conference of Genetic Genealogy (Nov. 13-15, 2015). (scroll down to near the bottom of the blog post to read the whole section on "FamilyTreeDNA's myOrigins Update."). You can see an image of the list of population clusters, as then shown in Khan's presentation, on Roberta Estes' blog post "2015 Family Tree DNA 11th International Conference – The Best Yet."

To quote what's written at the first link, and shown in the image at the second link:
Quote:
  • The new update for myOrigins 2.0 will include 24 reorganized reference populations (new categories in CAPS) as follows:
Ashkenazi ... BALKAN ... East Africa ... Finland ... Germany ... British ... ITALY ... Mbuti Pygmies ... North Africa ... NORTH AMERINDIAN ... NORTH INDIA ... North West Asia ... Northeast Asia ... PAPUAN ... Slavic ... SOUTH AMERINDIAN ... SOUTH INDIA ... South West Asian ... SARDINIAN ... Southeast Asia ... SIBERIAN ... Spain ... Scandinavian ... West Africa
  • In comparison the myOrigins 1.0 was:
Western & Central Europe ... East Central Africa ... Eastern Europe ... Native American ... North Africa ... Northeast Asia ... Central Asia ... Southern Europe ... West Africa ... British Isles ... Finland & Northern Siberia ... Scandinavia ... Asia Minor... Ashkenazi Diaspora ... South-Central Africa ... Southeast Asia ... South Asia ... Eastern Middle East.
It will be interesting to see if those new category populations were all included; note that it doesn't include Sephardic, which is in myOrigins 2.0. But the North Amerindian and South Amerindian indeed seem to be included now.

Last edited by KATM; 5th April 2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 5th April 2017, 03:22 PM
FTDNA Customer

I know that Italian wasn't included. It's clustered with Southeast Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATM View Post
The blog "Roots & Recombinant DNA," by TL Dixon in March 2016, had a list of the reported coming reference populations for FTDNA's next version of myOrigins (2.0). This was "revealed during" the presentation "Populations in Autosomal DNA," by Razib Khan at the Family Tree DNA 11th International Conference of Genetic Genealogy (Nov. 13-15, 2015). (scroll down to near the bottom of the blog post to read the whole section on "FamilyTreeDNA's myOrigins Update.")

To quote what's written there:

It will be interesting to see if those new category populations were all included; note that it doesn't include Sephardic, which is in myOrigins 2.0. But the North Amerindian and South Amerindian indeed seem to be included now.
Old 5th April 2017, 03:27 PM

Well, the posts said those were predicted myOrigins 2.0 reference populations, but they did not say they would be separate population clusters.
Old 5th April 2017, 03:34 PM
FTDNA Customer

Remember, too, that just because a list is presented at a big meeting, does not mean that all of the items on the list will inevitably be implemented! Things change, end up on the cutting room floor, etc.

What I hope is happening is that any clusters that are genetically distinct will be given some reasonable label and scored separately. There is no point in combining clusters that are reasonably distinct!
Old 6th April 2017, 12:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC View Post
I know that Italian wasn't included. It's clustered with Southeast Europe.
And Balkan wasn't really split out of Eastern Europe either, just the very southern Greek type so it ended up being really a Greco-Roman category instead of Southern Slavic.
Old 6th April 2017, 12:51 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCoy View Post
Remember, too, that just because a list is presented at a big meeting, does not mean that all of the items on the list will inevitably be implemented! Things change, end up on the cutting room floor, etc.

What I hope is happening is that any clusters that are genetically distinct will be given some reasonable label and scored separately. There is no point in combining clusters that are reasonably distinct!
Hah, tell that to the new even larger Eastern European cluster which is far less fine-grained than before and covers and even larger region.