Is it okay to post your DNA results on Facebook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dna
    FTDNA Customer
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by sspeters41 View Post
    It's your property. You can report when and where you desire. I haven't posted any results on facebook, but I have given my ethnic %'s to other family researchers via e-mail. If you want to share, go ahead.
    No.
    DNA is a shared property.

Results from myOrigins and ancientOrigins can in most cases be publicly shared without infringing on rights of the others.

Results from factoids or a a few selected SNPs are in the same category, that is they can in most cases be publicly shared without infringing on rights of the others.

Y DNA and mtDNA is obviously sufficiently identical among many family members (including unknown and unborn) to warrant special considerations.

Autosomal DNA is shared less than Y DNA and mtDNA, but Family Finder (or equivalent) results have hundreds of thousands SNPs, so even if you are sharing with someone in your family only 2% of autosomal DNA, that is around 10 thousands SNPs. (This is just an illustration, not a scientific argument).

Mr. W.

P.S.
    I do not think that private on Facebook is private enough.

Comment

• Carpathian
      • Jan 2017

Mr. W says:
      No.
      DNA is a shared property.
      Let's be clear about this. YOUR DNA is YOUR DNA. It is UNIQUE to you. In that sense it is your "property" and you can "share" it or protect it as you wish.

Let's not be naive about this. I think we all know that some snips of that DNA that we have in common with others reveal who our DNA relatives are. But let's not extend that into saying that they, or others who are not related to us are entitled to sharing anything else in our lives, unless we want them to.

P.S.
      I do not think that private on Facebook is private enough.
      If you like your Facebook, you can keep your Facebook. If you want total privacy, then don't subscribe to Facebook. If anyone decides to not participate in Facebook or any other web provided facility, that doesn't make them an uncaring or unsharing person. Mature people are capable of making their own decisions, including whether to play with those on Facebook, or not. That's a personal decision, and it's a matter of personal choice, whether you like it or not.

Comment

• Serket
        FTDNA Customer
        • Sep 2013

I usually share on Facebook if I've confirmed a connection to a DNA match. I've also shared my ethnicity results. Some of my known relatives have also tested and shared their ethnicity results on Facebook. The only problem I could see is if you had a previously unknown close match and it could cause controversy with some members of your family who don't want to discuss it. I also manage my wife's DNA matches, but I don't share her information on Facebook, just give it to her.

Comment

• DRNewcomb
          FTDNA Customer
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by dna View Post
          Share with the family? Yes!

Share on Facebook? Absolutely no!...
          The two are not mutually incompatible. You can share things just to certain subsets of friends. I have one subset for neighbors, another for family, another for coworkers, etc. There are some 2nd & 3rd cousins for whom I don't have an e-mail address, just Facebook.

Whenever someone posts their ethnicity report on Facebook, I normally ask how else they plan to use the data. If they say they have no other plans, I tell them it's like buying a Maserati and using it as a dog house.
          Last edited by DRNewcomb; 3 May 2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Carpathian
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by DRNewcomb View Post
            The two are not mutually incompatible. You can share things just to certain subsets of friends. I have one subset for neighbors, another for family, another for coworkers, etc. There are some 2nd & 3rd cousins for whom I don't have an e-mail address, just Facebook.

Whenever someone posts their ethnicity report on Facebook, I normally ask how else they plan to use the data. If they say they have no other plans, I tell them it's like buying a Maserati and using it as a dog house.
            IMO, it's more like this: they know you have a Maserati, either by reviewing your state registration or seeing it in your driveway. (Just do a Google search of your property, and realize that anyone can now view your house and your car parked there.)

Can I drive your Maserati? Why not? Won't you "share" it with me? Why not? Who are you to have a Maserati when I have nothing to share - nothing except my expectation (or demand?) that such things are owed to me. If you don't "share" with me what I don't know or I don't have, you must be a selfish and uncaring person.

Comment

• Germanica
              FTDNA Customer
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by DRNewcomb View Post

Except a DNA test is no where near the same cost as a Maserati. Let people do what they want with their own DNA and own money. Frankly, that's pretty rude and it sounds like you asked them the question with the smug expectation that you knew what their answer would be and you'd be able to respond with your smug and ridiculous analogy.

Comment

Working...
              X