Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > The X-Chromosome > X-DNA Basics

X-DNA Basics This forum is for newbie topics about the X-Chromosome. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 9th May 2014, 08:33 AM
FTDNA Customer

X match with 1/2 silbing mother's side & no x match with 1/2 silbing father' side

I am a male and have done the Ydna 111 marker test ,Family Finder and mtFull Sequence and a half sister on my mother's side has taken the Family Finder & mtFull Sequence test and a half sister on my father side has only taken the Family Finder test.

I match my half sister sibling 1.on my mother side with a total of cM:1820.06733 & shared DNA Segments:58 and also on chromssomoe x from position 23098597 to 154570039 for a total of 151.8 cM

I match my half sister sibling 2.on my father's side with a total of cM: 1630.72009 & shared DNA segments:46

My questions are
1. should I have some x match with my half sister on my father's side ?
2. Why would my father's daughter match me at a lower level that my half sister on my mother's side is it because silbing one also took the mtFull Sequence test.?

If questions these questions don't belong here Please bear with me as I am trying try to learn about this dna
Old 9th May 2014, 10:31 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
I am a male and have done the Ydna 111 marker test ,Family Finder and mtFull Sequence and a half sister on my mother's side has taken the Family Finder & mtFull Sequence test and a half sister on my father side has only taken the Family Finder test.

I match my half sister sibling 1.on my mother side with a total of cM:1820.06733 & shared DNA Segments:58 and also on chromssomoe x from position 23098597 to 154570039 for a total of 151.8 cM

I match my half sister sibling 2.on my father's side with a total of cM: 1630.72009 & shared DNA segments:46

My questions are
1. should I have some x match with my half sister on my father's side ?
2. Why would my father's daughter match me at a lower level that my half sister on my mother's side is it because silbing one also took the mtFull Sequence test.?

If questions these questions don't belong here Please bear with me as I am trying try to learn about this dna
No the mtDNA test does not affect the results of other tests.

The two half sibling autosomal (family finder) matches appear within the expected range for half siblings. No two comparisons will be the same due to variation in the inheritance. Variation is determined by how each person received recombined DNA from their parents. No two siblings, even full siblings should be expected to share the same amount of segment cM. Your tests are fine.

Your X chromosome match is normal as well. You will only match people connected to your mother on your X chromosome since you are a male. You will only match (on the X chromosome) sister 1 because you two have the same mother. You will not match (on the X chromosome) sister 2 because you have the same father, not mother.

Because you both have one parent in common, the autosomal segments (chromosomes 1 - 22) will have matches throughout giving you the 1820cm and 1630cm matches.

Last edited by mkdexter; 9th May 2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 9th May 2014, 11:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdexter View Post
No the mtDNA test does not affect the results of other tests.

The two half sibling autosomal (family finder) matches appear within the expected range for half siblings. No two comparisons will be the same due to variation in the inheritance. Variation is determined by how each person received recombined DNA from their parents. No two siblings, even full siblings should be expected to share the same amount of segment cM. Your tests are fine.

Your X chromosome match is normal as well. You will only match people connected to your mother on your X chromosome since you are a male. You will only match (on the X chromosome) sister 1 because you two have the same mother. You will not match (on the X chromosome) sister 2 because you have the same father, not mother.

Because you both have one parent in common, the autosomal segments (chromosomes 1 - 22) will have matches throughout giving you the 1820cm and 1630cm matches.

mkdexter Thank you for explaining it to me.I appreciate you time and answer.