Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Basics

Old 6th January 2017, 07:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

Phasing

For the past few months I have been linking people to my trees in order to enable phasing (to see the red and blue symbols signifying maternal & paternal).

I recognise that the full phasing programme to be introduced isn't yet complete however I have a strange anomaly concerning my own kit.

When someone matches an uncle or aunt they should see the purple symbol for 'both' on the uncle/aunts matches page and either the red or blue on the nephew/nieces page kit matches page.

I have tested a number of cousins and uncles and that is the case on most of mine. However when it comes to my two maternal uncles, instead of seeing the purple symbol beside my name (their nephew) there is a red symbol on one uncle's kit and a blue symbol on the other uncle's kit. They are both full brothers. This has been the case for the last few months and it hasn't been rectified even when I have unlinked the kits and relinked them.

There is no question whatsoever that I am not related through both my maternal grandparents as I have close matches with cousins of my mother (on both sides of the family) and many full cousin matches that rule out that possibility.

Could there be something wrong in my raw data that is making this happen?
Old 6th January 2017, 08:04 PM
FTDNA Customer

How do you have each uncle linked in your tree?
How are you linked in their tree?

If one is showing as your paternal relative and the other as a maternal relative, then you must have an error in the linking somewhere not the raw data.

Go over all your linked relationships
Old 8th January 2017, 02:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

I have linked many people on the 20 kits I manage and this is the only 2 occasions where it isn't working properly, and I found it strange that both times it revolves around myself.

My two uncles are my mother's brothers so there isn't that many people to remove and re-add to try to reinitiate the phasing. I have ensured that I have two parents added for every relationship as I always do. Everybody is linked as the correct sex, if they are deceased or not etc etc

I tried again tonight - still no difference. One of my cousins results came back this week and yet theirs show fine.

The reason I thought perhaps the raw data was to blame was that these two uncles are the only two relatives to whom I am related as a 'both'. All my other 18 proven relationships are maternal or paternal.

Last edited by Lucky; 8th January 2017 at 02:14 PM.