Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Advanced Topics

mtDNA - Advanced Topics Users can exchange advanced information here on mtDNA testing, results, and questions. You must register and sign in to view or post in this forum.

Old 6th April 2018, 08:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

Can't find mtDNA donor. Is there a way to search what's already in database?

I cannot find a donor for a certain line of mtDNA. Is there a way to search the last known female ancestors in the entire database to see if the info I need is already there?
Old 6th April 2018, 10:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

I am guessing you are looking for mtDNA from the same or very close line.

The simplest way would be to have mtDNA tested here, since many people (for a variety reasons!) are not joining mtDNA projects. Otherwise (if you already tested elsewhere) you would need to look through the relevant projects, but then you can only see HVR1 and HVR2.

Is there some problem with testing here?

Mr. W.
Old 7th April 2018, 03:00 AM
FTDNA Customer

I think DTJ isn't a matrilineal descendant of the ancestor whose mtDNA he or she is interested in.
Old 7th April 2018, 10:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
I think DTJ isn't a matrilineal descendant of the ancestor whose mtDNA he or she is interested in.
Oh...

I had mistakenly thought that the question was asked on behalf a family that was looking for a mtDNA donor, but could not find matching mtDNA yet.

Mr. W.
Old 7th April 2018, 05:19 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTJ View Post
Is there a way to search the last known female ancestors in the entire database to see if the info I need is already there?
Not that I'm aware of.

There used to be a way of searching for names in FTDNA customers' trees, if the tree was public, but that was removed in February - and it might not have been much help anyway, as the customer's name was often not revealed.

I suggest you ask FTDNA directly. But not by phone! Use their Request form: log in to your account, scroll down the page to Contact Us, then when the new page opens up scroll down to Support and click on "Open a request". Make it clear why you're asking. And make sure you tick the Captcha box before you submit your request, otherwise it won't go through. Also, be prepared to wait up to a week for a reply.

If the answer is no ... Can you find that maternal line on any reliable trees online, and get in touch with the tree owners? Or maybe post the maternal-line names in a public forum (I assume these women are no longer alive, and are perhaps long gone), in case a direct matrilineal descendant is researching them? The latter is very much a long shot, though
Old 7th April 2018, 06:32 PM
FTDNA Customer

If your most distant known female ancestor lived a country where genetic genealogy is popular, for example Sweden, there may be resources. Here is an example, link is also on FTDNAs Sweden Project:

The Swedish Haplogroup Database

http://dna.scangen.se/index.php?show=search&lang=en

You could also post your plea for help to surname message boards.
Old 7th April 2018, 10:38 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

What are you actually trying to find out through mtDNA testing?