Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Group Administrators - New and Begining Admins

Old 10th February 2018, 01:42 PM
FTDNA Customer
Significance of Genetic Distance

In the McGill group we have two kits (206503 is the nephew of 126052) that have a Genetic Distance of 2, with both tested at 37.

One of the sites they differ is DYS464, which is a rapidly mutating site, indicated by it being red. The other site is DYS607 which is not considered rapidly mutating.

Is this expected? This seems to me like a big difference in one generation. I guess they could both test to Y111 or do SNP testing to see how much they really differ.
Old 11th February 2018, 06:22 AM
FTDNA Customer
Shouldn't you count generations from the common ancestor?

A man(A) has two sons(B & C). It is very possible they have a genetic distance of one or more. One of the brothers(B) has a son(D). Again it is very possible for them to have a genetic distance of one or more.

In your case you are comparing C to D. D is two generations from A.

A genetic distance of 2 may be more than "normal" but it isn't unusual.
Old 11th February 2018, 01:48 PM
FTDNA Customer
I guess they could both test to Y111 or do SNP testing to see how much they really differ.
Spending the money to confirm an estimated difference is your choice, but as Jim Barret says, there is nothing unusual in this GD esult. The higher res STR will give a more accurate GD, but when a relationship is known, searching for a variant beyond what is already known will not really change anything, will it?

A Haplo admin might suggest a SNP pack as a less expensive alternative to upgrading to 111, but sponsoring an expansion of this lineage with other male results (when possible) seems a better use of funds, in my opinion. Then again, I might be an idiot...
Old 11th February 2018, 02:58 PM
FTDNA Customer
Nothing states that a GD of 2 is not possible, but as noted you have to consider it from the common ancestor. But if you are still doubtful about the connection (in spite of it being known), both can take the Family Finder test. They would be very high matches to each other given the expected connection.

With closely related Y matches, you may find that the "red" STRs are more likely to be the places where they differ. The other marker could indicate a new branching point for the STR signature between one of them. I agree that funds would be better spent on a more distant cousin to these two individuals than to do additional testing for both.