Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 14th January 2018, 12:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

I Went from Celtic to European

So, I noticed that I'm no longer ethnic, but rather homogenized. What's going on there?
Old 14th January 2018, 01:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregR1 View Post
So, I noticed that I'm no longer ethnic, but rather homogenized. What's going on there?
Can you elaborate as to where you saw these demonyms?
Old 14th January 2018, 04:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
Can you elaborate as to where you saw these demonyms?
Western France/ Brittany / Gaul, Western Spain and the Isles. So why the change?
Old 14th January 2018, 04:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Western France/ Brittany / Gaul, Western Spain and the Isles. So why the change?
Where did you see them? On FTDNA myOrigins? Or elsewhere?
Old 14th January 2018, 04:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
Where did you see them? On FTDNA myOrigins? Or elsewhere?
"My Origins"
Old 14th January 2018, 08:00 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Celtic is European.

Do you know who you are or do you believe that which others tell you that you are? What are your expectations? What are you trying to prove?
Old 14th January 2018, 08:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
You mean your pre-myOrigins report? That was a long time ago. Most likely, your current report says something more specific than "European" - click on where it says "European" and it should expand to show more specific regions. You can also click on the map and then click "expand all". The regions in myOrigins 2.0 are probably actually much more specific. Western France, Brittany, Gaul, Western Spain, and the British Isles covers a very broad area if those are meant to be one combined region, whereas now British Isles is it's own group, and "Gaul" or France/Germany is it's own group called West and Central Europe. Spain is primarily "Iberia".
Old 17th January 2018, 06:31 PM
FTDNA Customer

I had a similar problem with an autosomal test by Ancestry.com. First it told me I was Celtic then later it put me into Western Europe and Great Britain was removed.

So next I decided to do a Y-111 dna test at FTDNA and all I was told is that I am R-M269. In checking that I find out there are over 100 million Europeans with R-M269. Also, all I had was 500+ matches at Y-12 and about 20 at Y25. Nothing at any of the higher levels of Y DNA.

Why did I pay for Y-111 when I can only get matches to Y-25? What happened to the other matches? Will I ever get a better match than Eastern and Western Europe? My Y DNA came from 7 generations of Czech DNA from a small town near Prague.

Ron Mlejnek
Old 17th January 2018, 06:44 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

If you already know that your Y DNA came from 7 generations of Czech DNA from a small town near Prague, why do you think you need a DNA test to tell you what you know??? You will never get a DNA test to be that accurate with regard to ethnicity!

You can only see your Y-DNA matches to 25 markers for one of two reasons. Either you don't have any matches at the higher levels, or all of your results are not in yet. If your results have just started to come in, wait a few days as the panels usually come in a few days apart.

My father was Italian and he has no matches at any level, not even 12 markers. I tested him several years ago.

Last edited by MoberlyDrake; 17th January 2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 17th January 2018, 07:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mlejnek View Post
Why did I pay for Y-111 when I can only get matches to Y-25? What happened to the other matches? Will I ever get a better match than Eastern and Western Europe? My Y DNA came from 7 generations of Czech DNA from a small town near Prague.

Ron Mlejnek
I dunno. Why did you pay for that which you did?

Apparently you already knew your ancestry, better than what the tests from various sites predicted. I'm not arguing that you are wrong. To the contrary, in knowing your ancestry you are probably more correct than the predictions that you paid for. But what is it that are you trying to prove, and to whom are you trying to prove it? If you are trying to demonstrate the lack of credibility or accuracy of such reports, you have done so, and you have expressed it well.