Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 19th February 2018, 10:50 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

I just plain don't have the time to correct all the incorrect online trees!

If I were a multi-billionaire and could buy Ancestry, goodness knows what I'd do to clean up that mess!
Old 20th February 2018, 12:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post

If I were a multi-billionaire and could buy Ancestry, goodness knows what I'd do to clean up that mess!
Ancestry is primarily concerned with dominating the market and making a profit. Cleaning up the "mess" is not part of their business plan.
Old 20th February 2018, 12:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

You don’t know each other so they may respond in two ways:
1) you won’t hear from them again.They might be annoyed and feel an intrusion
2) you will hear from them and they will want to cordially accept the errors
I think,of it like we deal with co workers. So,it’s 50-50.
Old 20th February 2018, 03:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
And then there's FamilySearch. At least you can edit those yourself though.

One of my ancestors was born around 1730 in Fife. I've never found his baptism but there were five babies baptised near where he was born in Fife in the decade he was born who had the same name. I know who his parents were from other records that I found (ScotlandsPeople, NAS, graveyards, court cases etc). None of them will be found on Ancestry or FamilySearch.

A distant relative of mine who isn't descended from this man decided my ancestor was one of those five other people. I have no idea how he came to this conclusion, but he added it anyway. Actually, he might have copied it from an Ancestry tree.
Old 20th February 2018, 08:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
And then there's FamilySearch. At least you can edit those yourself though.
And you get to correct the same errors over and over and over because people are to dumb to read the provided documentation or just don't give a hoot!
Old 20th February 2018, 11:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
And you get to correct the same errors over and over and over because people are to dumb to read the provided documentation or just don't give a hoot!
Probably. But FamilySearch has an Undo option, so often it's not that difficult. I hadn't remembered to "watch" these people, so I didn't pick up on the change for quite a while. Now they're being watched so I'll know within the week.

Another relative that was being watched was edited by someone (probably not even a relative) and I was notified about the changes by FamilySearch. By the time I logged in another cousin had already fixed it so there must be a few watchers lurking.
Old 22nd February 2018, 05:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

Two little thoughts...

1. I appreciate that some of you are nice people, so the thought of correcting obvious errors is the normal human response.

The issue is, I would never get any work done, and would have to hire very young helper monkeys, to correct what I see is wrong, there is literally not enough time left to me to try to do that.

2. Here is an excerpt from the book I am preparing. Let me say that I have received direct help from Eliz S Mills, Joe Shumway, Paul Reed and Blaine Bettinger, so I have nothing against the concept, but :

With pretensions of “noble blood” lineage fed by totally fictitious or at least highly questionable connections, writers since Roman times have brought a certain odor to the term “professional genealogist.” (Although “amateurs” were susceptible to the same impulses, that word implied no taint of personal profit attached to their endeavors, whether true or not.) Most importantly, the citation of such “professional” credentials has never lent much weight to their conclusions. I believe that I have shown in this volume that flawed citations and questionable statements are not restricted to us amateurs. Nor is there a legal requirement for anyone setting out their signpost as a professional genealogist to carry academic or board-certified credentials.

Last edited by clintonslayton76; 22nd February 2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
1. I appreciate that some of you are nice people, so the thought of correcting obvious errors is the normal human response.

The issue is, I would never get any work done, and would have to hire very young helper monkeys, to correct what I see is wrong, there is literally not enough time left to me to try to do that.

2. Here is an excerpt from the book I am preparing. Let me say that I have received direct help from Eliz S Mills, Joe Shumway, Paul Reed and Blaine Bettinger, so I have nothing against the concept, but :

With pretensions of “noble blood” lineage fed by totally fictitious or at least highly questionable connections, writers since Roman times have brought a certain odor to the term “professional genealogist.” (Although “amateurs” were susceptible to the same impulses, that word implied no taint of personal profit attached to their endeavors, whether true or not.) Most importantly, the citation of such “professional” credentials has never lent much weight to their conclusions. I believe that I have shown in this volume that flawed citations and questionable statements are not restricted to us amateurs. Nor is there a legal requirement for anyone setting out their signpost as a professional genealogist to carry academic or board-certified credentials.
Interesting observations. I assume you are of an older generation, and are trying to set things straight.

The 'professions' that were traditionally recognized as such, which were/are: Doctor, Dentist, Lawyer, Teacher (scholar), Artist, Architect, Engineer, Accountant, Musician. These occupations all required academic training and/or scholarship, as opposed to being a tradesman (which requires training and experience, but not requiring academic knowledge).

In more recent times we have redefined the word 'profession' with the difference as being that of having an occupation that produces income vs. that of a hobby or pastime - that being one of 'professional' vs. 'amateur'. (Athletes, actors and performing musicians come to mind, to name a few. We'll try not to mention politicians and prostitutes.)

With regard to your observations, there are charlatans in every field, both professional and otherwise.

Credentialization provides no guarantee of competence, nor of skill. Some amateurs are at least as capable as 'professionals', and as observed, some credentialed professionals are bogus.
Old 24th February 2018, 12:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonslayton76 View Post

would have to hire very young helper monkeys, to correct what I see is wrong
I'd take that job. Wouldn't even need minimum wage.
Old 26th February 2018, 02:34 AM
FTDNA Customer

And replies such as this from a descendant of my gtgtgt-grandmother's sister make it all worthwhile.

"Thank you ______. I've not been on ancestry for a while. I will update the info. Nice to hear from a distant cousin. Xx"

This may help us both find matches in the future.