Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 16th February 2018, 12:31 AM
FTDNA Customer

Yeyyyyy!! The results for my grandpa's batch 812 y-37 test were posted this morning!! So happy!! His only three matches are at a Gen. Distance of >3, but who knows what matches will tunr up in the future.
So I didn't have to wait until Feb 26th, and yes, I can confirm as well, the new date range was set automatically, but I was just so anxious his sample wouldn't suffice. New collection kit ordered but hasn't arrived yet.
Old 16th February 2018, 04:59 AM
FTDNA Customer

Big Y batch 781 - more delays

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Contemplator View Post
Maybe, but no way for us to know. Did you ever get in touch with FTDNA in the past week?.
Yes I've been in touch with FTDNA for a while - including twice this past week. A Customer Service Advisor always sends me the same standard reply - which states they have contacted the labs (which the did about 5/6 weeks ago, when I first opened this latest query) and are awaiting information, which they will let me have as soon as they hear anything.

I've even asked if they will contact the labs a second time - but it seems this isn't the procedure & I just have to wait. I really wish I could find out what the problem is.
Old 16th February 2018, 06:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwabianGirl View Post
New collection kit ordered but hasn't arrived yet.
Do you mean a new collection kit for that same kit number or a new test ordered? Just making sure as it should be the same kit number that he already has provided a sample with.
Old 17th February 2018, 01:53 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Do you mean a new collection kit for that same kit number or a new test ordered? Just making sure as it should be the same kit number that he already has provided a sample with.
The customer service has offered to send my gradnpa another collection kit because they might run out of samples if I upgraded to basically any other test. So it would have the same kit number, right? But I will check it anyway when it will finally have arrived.
Old 17th February 2018, 09:24 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Maybe, but no way for us to know. Did you ever get in touch with FTDNA in the past week?

Because the date range is mostly meaningless. It is automatic. If your results were about done and just a day late, you would still have this new date range.

I ordered a Y test at the end of December. The test obviously failed as I was sent a new collection kit. FTDNA does not give me any notification that they were sending this to me at all. When I look at the date range, it still claims it is near. There is no way they can predict when they will be done when I still haven't sent back a new sample for them. So the deadline will keep changing until I send back the new kit and they process the test. So the date is usually only useful at the start. After that, it is basically meaningless. Previous tests I've ordered would arrive before reaching that first day in the deadline range.

So contact FTDNA about it. Click on Customer Support at the top of this page and either call them or fill out the form to have them reply back by email. Make sure your kit's address is correct in case they sent you one. I should note that while I sent in that Y kit's sample at the end of December, I did not get this new collection kit until a week ago. So they took a little more than 6 weeks from FTDNA receiving the sample to me receiving a new collection kit in the mail.
Thanks for the info. I did contact them (via the web form) on Feb 6. They responded that they sent a request to the lab for more details and would let me know. I still haven't heard back as of Feb 17.
Old 18th February 2018, 11:16 PM
mtDNA: H31a | Y-DNA: R-L21

Big Y - Batch 781 - multiple kits

My father's kit is in this same batch (781) that was ordered in August and has been delayed multiple times. This same batch has been mentioned on the "FTDNA - BiGY Facebook Group" as recently as 2/14, so we are not alone.

Back in mid Jan, I was told that results should be available by the next Friday.

On Feb 6, this was the response:

"A second run for extra coverage was needed, so this is a separate attempt from the last time we spoke and a new sample had to be extracted for it. It normally does not take this long, but due to the recent update in Big Y, we are seeing a few delays."

This same sample produced a STR upgrade to 111 markers. I have also been assured there is plenty of DNA still on file... which is good because I have no way of getting any more.

I am hoping for this week, but am frustrated it has taken this long.

Angelia
Old 19th February 2018, 11:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

This is minor compared to the big problems many of the rest of you have, but just reporting that we have an SMS-M343 batch 815 that is into the multiple delay cycle. This happened last time we ordered something similar, and it was 4-5 months total. Sigh. So don't expect speed if you order packs or single SNPs.
Old 19th February 2018, 01:24 PM
mtDNA: H31a | Y-DNA: R-L21

BY - batch 781 - Finally!!

Well, looks like at least my kit is in from this batch.

FINALLY!!

The top match shares 10 mutations, so I am hoping that creates at least one new branch. Already loaded the file to the YDNA Warehouse (for R1b testers) so should see something visually in a few days.

Angelia
Old 20th February 2018, 03:31 AM
FTDNA Customer

Batch 815 SMS-Z255 pack- delayed for second time. Now expected between 3/5/18 and 3/19/18

Last edited by Maitiú Ó Broin; 20th February 2018 at 03:36 AM.
Old 27th February 2018, 05:20 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thumbs down 6 months

ftdna has lost credibility with me. 6 months later, yet another push back date for batch 781, Big Y and an SNP. I could have saved a lot of money and not done the tests. I would have gotten the same results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeliaR View Post
My father's kit is in this same batch (781) that was ordered in August and has been delayed multiple times. This same batch has been mentioned on the "FTDNA - BiGY Facebook Group" as recently as 2/14, so we are not alone.

Back in mid Jan, I was told that results should be available by the next Friday.

On Feb 6, this was the response:

"A second run for extra coverage was needed, so this is a separate attempt from the last time we spoke and a new sample had to be extracted for it. It normally does not take this long, but due to the recent update in Big Y, we are seeing a few delays."

This same sample produced a STR upgrade to 111 markers. I have also been assured there is plenty of DNA still on file... which is good because I have no way of getting any more.

I am hoping for this week, but am frustrated it has taken this long.

Angelia