Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 1st February 2018, 05:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Ancestry Testing - Shipping

I currently live in Germany and had my DNA Testing Kit shipped to a German Address by FTDNA - no problem. I then attempted to Order a Ancestry DNA Test and was informed they are not allowed to Ship to Germany/France/Spain/Italy. I am aware that in some Countries DNA Testing is only lawful when carried out under Medical Supervision but that is intended (I assume) primarily in respect of Paternity Testing etc. I am intrigued why FTDNA are able to Ship Tests to those Countries and Ancestry are not DNA Testing is now very popular and it is illogical that Companies like Ancestry have not negotiated with those Countries to allow Test Kits to be shipped. I am sure there are many other Ex-Pats who would test but have no UK Address they can use or want to use. Whilst Ancestry have no Offices in Germany they do have a Subsidiary Company ('Janus' in Munich) who could negotiate an update with the Government. They advertise German Ancestry in TV adverts so they are obviously working hard to create a new Market there.
Old 1st February 2018, 06:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

Do you have family in the US who can accept the package then mail it to you?

I can only assume Ancestry doesn't want to deal with international shipping issues, or maybe international law regarding what they do with your DNA, but I don't really know the reason they won't do it.
Old 4th February 2018, 05:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

For years Ancestry would only ship within the US. Eventually they added some other countries and expanded that list yet again. As you said, it isn't as global as FTDNA. No idea why. Maybe some red tape they have to deal with before it is worth doing in those countries.