Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 18th March 2018, 08:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

If we all come from Africa, doesn't that make us 100 percent African?

I don't seem to understand what makes a person what, especially when a person is mixed. If we all are African descendants, then doesn't that mean that wherever our ancestors moved they are all African too? I don't understand DNA.

I'm about to take the test. I already know that my Italian side was in Italy for about 10 generations. So will it say that I'm italian? Or will it say that because they migrated form somewhere else hundreds of years ago that they're mixed with something else?

I don't get how it works. When my italian side came over to America, will the test eventually show that their descendants are American race? I don't really get how it works.

But if it just traces where we all came from, then wouldn't we all be 100 percent of wherever that is?

Please explain to me what I'm missing and no I'm not trolling. I just am a curious person with a little bit of a learning disorder.
Old 18th March 2018, 08:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

These are good questions, but you would be surprised with my answer.

Almost 90 years ago, it was proved that for each theory there are certain things that cannot be proved within that theory. That applies to language, too.

And in my opinion, your questions do not have answers or more precisely any (ANY) answer to them cannot be proven within the framework you want to use.

I do not know any easy treatment, but you may want to look up proof theory or Kurt Gödel.

Let me offer an example, that is somewhat (but only somewhat) related. You have probably heard about a binary numeral system. A formula written
10 + 10 = 100
cannot be evaluated whether it is right or wrong, unless the numeral system that was used is known (or consciously or subconsciously assumed). You might be tempted to say that we know it is true in the binary numeral system. That is exactly my point, the correct answer depends on a point of view (going beyond a certain system) and additional information not included with the original question.

Mr. W.

Last edited by dna; 18th March 2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 18th March 2018, 10:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

We're all star stuff.
Old 18th March 2018, 11:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

An African genetically of today is not the same as the African genetically which is the common ancestor every one today.
Each group evolved different mutations which separate our current day characteristic from each other.
The 99.9% identical all humans share is the common ancestor, each SNP (the .1% difference)is the mutations that set us apart.

Certain SNPs have been identified as mutating in certain regions, these are what ethnicity reports look at in determining ones ethnicity. AIMS markers (ancestry informative markers)

Last edited by prairielad; 18th March 2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 19th March 2018, 03:21 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
An African genetically of today is not the same as the African genetically which is the common ancestor every one today.
Each group evolved different mutations which separate our current day characteristic from each other.
The 99.9% identical all humans share is the common ancestor, each SNP (the .1% difference)is the mutations that set us apart.

Certain SNPs have been identified as mutating in certain regions, these are what ethnicity reports look at in determining ones ethnicity. AIMS markers (ancestry informative markers)

Oh so it's a mutation?

Let me ask you this. I know that my italian side goes back 10 generations. But if they had just migrated from Spain before these 10 generations, would that make them Spanish? I don't know how it works.
Old 19th March 2018, 10:16 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intevel View Post
Oh so it's a mutation?

Let me ask you this. I know that my italian side goes back 10 generations. But if they had just migrated from Spain before these 10 generations, would that make them Spanish? I don't know how it works.
Being one hundred percent Italian does not mean that your ancestors have been Italian since the dawn of time. In fact, the nation of Italy didn't exist 200-300 years ago in the way it does today. However, there is European genetics, there is also African and Asian genetics. All Europeans are closer to each other than they are to any African or Asian and vice versa.
Old 19th March 2018, 10:48 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey View Post
Being one hundred percent Italian does not mean that your ancestors have been Italian since the dawn of time. In fact, the nation of Italy didn't exist 200-300 years ago in the way it does today. However, there is European genetics, there is also African and Asian genetics. All Europeans are closer to each other than they are to any African or Asian and vice versa.

But what I'm saying is that even though I may have European, that doesn't mean that they were always in Italy. Could have came from other places? It's confusing.
Old 19th March 2018, 11:53 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
But what I'm saying is that even though I may have European, that doesn't mean that they were always in Italy. Could have came from other places? It's confusing.
Yes, it is confusing. And as I tried to explain, there is no correct or incorrect answer = there is no answer that can be without any doubt (unequivocally) classified as right or wrong.

Some might not agree with me, but there is a good explanation. If there are many definitions for something, for example for being an Italian or being an African, it usually means that on the topic covered by those definitions there are questions that cannot be answered.

Mr. W.

P.S.
There are situations when there are many definitions, but the ultimate meaning of all of them is identical (= the definitions are equivalent). However, in the topics you had touched upon (belonging, criteria, naming, origins, race) that is not the case.
Old 19th March 2018, 12:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

In response to the thread title the answer is "no".
Old 19th March 2018, 09:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Oh so it's a mutation?

If you go back 10 generations, you had 1,024 ancestors in that generation. If you go back another 10 years, you had 1,048,576 ancestors in that generation. It's very unlikely that every single one of them lived in the same location.

Your Italian heritage will probably show up as Southeast European. If some ancestors came from Spain, you may see some Iberian and, North Africa and Middle East (from the Moorish period), and probably a few things you don't expect. Then you'll take the DNA data to another site like Gedmatch or Ancestry and you'll get different results because they use different samples to identify different ethnic groups. It won't be as precise as the commercials make you believe.