Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 14th March 2018, 06:41 AM
DRNewcomb DRNewcomb is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 32
There was a sci-fi movie a while back about a society where only the genetically perfect had good jobs, lived in nice houses and could have children. Everyone else was relegated to unskilled labor. I hope we are not seeing the beginning of this scenario.

I'm thinking about the day my son decides to sue me because he has a prognathic jaw, broad nose and ADD, all of which are common traits in my family.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 14th March 2018, 04:04 PM
dna dna is online now
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
There was a sci-fi movie a while back about a society where only the genetically perfect had good jobs, lived in nice houses and could have children. Everyone else was relegated to unskilled labor. I hope we are not seeing the beginning of this scenario.

I'm thinking about the day my son decides to sue me because he has a prognathic jaw, broad nose and ADD, all of which are common traits in my family.
Gattaca from 1997 ?

Actually, gamete donor clinics advertise(d) themselves as going into that ugly direction...

If you were a Jew, you should have used services of Committee for Prevention of Jewish Genetic Diseases. But if you were, you would have known about that.

Mr. W.

P.S.
Anyway, such tests, among those considering engagement or courtship, only make sense for recessive traits, and not for traits associated with the dominant genes.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 15th March 2018, 12:43 AM
JDM1984 JDM1984 is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lowell, MA, USA
Posts: 15
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
By the 1980s sperm donation was no longer the private domain of medical students. Not that it ever really was but there was a running joke in the '70s about the AMA attempting to remake America in their own image.

Doing something in one legal regime only to have the laws (or case law) change so that you find yourself dragged into court over 30 years after the fact, should be a concept that's burned into every young person's brain. It would certainly cause an immediate halt to all blood, plasma, bone marrow and tissue donations; at least from living people. It's kind of hard to sue a corpse.
Awwwwww so your rights to remain anonymous rank paramount to our right to know?

Also, you can't get sued. Most courts wouldn't allowed and most DC children don't want to sue. They don't even want to leave their social dads. They just want to know their roots. But because you thought that you would remain anonymous (even though the contract you signed never actually protected you from full anonymity), you thought that you could get away with it and none the wiser.

Well, dad. You might lack a moral compass, but when you go telling other family members to not take a dna test because you're too much of a coward to take some biological responsibility for the life that you helped create, chances are that your family members are going to be in limbo at the next family gathering. You tell them that you helped father a child at a fertility clinic but you want to cut them off to knowing your info, they might look at you as if you were born without a conscience. Because you're worried about something that only exists in your tiny head. The children/recipients don't want to sue you. The clinic? That's another story because the clinic falsely advertised a product (i.e. medical students and in turn they turned out to be schizophrenics like with Xytex in Atlanta).

You don't have any parental responsibility. You're not on the hook for child support. But you are a total POS if you can't understand that your right to remain anonymous disappeared when you came in that cup. The fact that you did this several times and judging by your childish tantrums (waaaaaaah the children I fathered are trying to ruin my life), I say that your bio kids are developmentally delayed and probably are living in group homes or are in some sort of correctional facility. Nice dumpster fire you lit, eh, dad?

But, let's assume that your awesome seed produced some pretty well-adjusted children. I highly doubt it but let's have some fun here. The children you openly denied in exchange for you being the worst spokesperson for your martyr cause are...

a) doing very well financially (enough to save your sad @$$)
b) have a matching kidney or blood type
c) save your life in some sort of emergency

awwwwwwww...but you're the posterchild of "the recipient of my seed is coming after my raisins." So, nope. You don't get to choose whether or not you want to be identified by your bio children. Too bad. The world could've been your oyster.

Last edited by ljc; 22nd March 2018 at 04:39 PM. Reason: No name-calling, please.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 15th March 2018, 12:59 AM
JDM1984 JDM1984 is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lowell, MA, USA
Posts: 15
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Did those guys in 1970s or 1980s ever think that their children might unknowingly want to marry?**** OK, they might be just thinking: easy money. What about the companies arranging the deal? Well..., here it is clear, they were thinking only about easy money. But what about the mothers?

I know, thinking about consequences is sometimes severely lacking. One click at YouTube and we can watch extremely stupid, but entirely legal activities performed for glory and/or profit.

Mr. W.

****
Then after the sperm was donated:
  • medical history of the donor?
  • medical history of donor's (grand)parents (likely still living at the time of the donation)?
  • medical history of donor's siblings?
  • medical history of donor's non-anonymous children?
Well, I think that's the reason FOR anonymity. Inbreeding. The baby boomers who became fertility doctors had one thing on their mind. Okay, two things. A dumpster fire for the next generation and profit. They wanted inbreeding and genetic diseases to be handed down. That's why we see so many young people who have disabilities today. It's not by serendipity that so many children have cancer, developmental delays, and other defects. There's blood on the hands of these cryobanks. But, hey? Free market, amirite?

I was reading a comment from a woman who was pushed off the board of directors of Xytex in Atlanta for bringing up the sole issue of inbreeding as a major concern. And for anyone who isn't familiar with Xytex, here is a kind little refresher...
http://www.atlantamagazine.com/great...ss-babymaking/
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 17th March 2018, 12:01 PM
The_Contemplator The_Contemplator is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Contemplator View Post
Your thread title says "Took the Big-Y111", but from everything you have said it looks like you are confused. The Y111 is not the same as the Big Y.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
I do not see Big Y there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM1984 View Post
What do you mean? I thought that this was the Big-Y, no? What's the difference between the Big-Y and Y-111?
I guess you missed that part of my earlier post where I told you they were different. At any rate, the Big Y won't help triangulate your bio-father. The matches (if any) in Big Y would include much more distant ones than the Y111 can show. Normally when someone takes a Big Y, they have already taken one of the STR tests (Y12 to Y111). Given that you have no matches, you will likely not have any close match (with a common ancestor within 500 years give or take) with Big Y either. Any Big Y matches you could see could be from over an ancestor thousand years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM1984 View Post
Awwwwww so your rights to remain anonymous rank paramount to our right to know? You're a scumbag.
There is no need for that and I think it also goes against the forum rules. Besides he is simply playing devil's advocate. He clearly stated if he had been a donor he would want to be anonymous. This means he was not a donor. He is thinking about this through a possible donor's point of view and you are looking it through your own.

People can be strange. The donors at the time may have just wanted to forget it even happen and not have to deal with their future children. People can be unpredictable, so safest thing for the donors in their mind was to just avoid them. Also, it is possible they were simply not thinking about the future or just that possibility. That a child of theirs would WANT to look for them.

Maybe the donor you are looking for would be willing to be found but has no idea he had to enable that option. Think of it like people testing here. Then they go inactive and they change their email. A match could be trying to contact them and they would be willing to listen but never kept their contact information up to date.

The clinic can't give out the data easily because they are stuck in the middle. It could jeopardize their future supply and it can open them up for law suits from donors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM1984 View Post
Well, I think that's the reason FOR anonymity. Inbreeding. ... They wanted inbreeding and genetic diseases to be handed down.
Come on, use Occam's Razor. It isn't that they want inbreeding. They either didn't think it through or thought the possibility would be too small for such an occurrence. It comes down to not wanting to spend money on something that they thought would likely not happen. They wanted to keep their easy money.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 19th March 2018, 10:22 PM
JDM1984 JDM1984 is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lowell, MA, USA
Posts: 15
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Contemplator View Post
I guess you missed that part of my earlier post where I told you they were different. At any rate, the Big Y won't help triangulate your bio-father. The matches (if any) in Big Y would include much more distant ones than the Y111 can show. Normally when someone takes a Big Y, they have already taken one of the STR tests (Y12 to Y111). Given that you have no matches, you will likely not have any close match (with a common ancestor within 500 years give or take) with Big Y either. Any Big Y matches you could see could be from over an ancestor thousand years ago.



There is no need for that and I think it also goes against the forum rules. Besides he is simply playing devil's advocate. He clearly stated if he had been a donor he would want to be anonymous. This means he was not a donor. He is thinking about this through a possible donor's point of view and you are looking it through your own.

People can be strange. The donors at the time may have just wanted to forget it even happen and not have to deal with their future children. People can be unpredictable, so safest thing for the donors in their mind was to just avoid them. Also, it is possible they were simply not thinking about the future or just that possibility. That a child of theirs would WANT to look for them.

Maybe the donor you are looking for would be willing to be found but has no idea he had to enable that option. Think of it like people testing here. Then they go inactive and they change their email. A match could be trying to contact them and they would be willing to listen but never kept their contact information up to date.

The clinic can't give out the data easily because they are stuck in the middle. It could jeopardize their future supply and it can open them up for law suits from donors.



Come on, use Occam's Razor. It isn't that they want inbreeding. They either didn't think it through or thought the possibility would be too small for such an occurrence. It comes down to not wanting to spend money on something that they thought would likely not happen. They wanted to keep their easy money.
1. Here's the deal. You can still track down your Y family even if you have to go back five hundred years and even if nothing shows up at 37 and 67. You'll just have to use second and third cousins and work down.

2. Stop trying to use an egalitarian approach to your defense of anonymous sperm donation. Nothing makes steam come out of my ears faster than when you try to play "devil's advocate." Either make your argument, or don't.

3. You still don't get it. That was the sole reason for fertility banks. Profit, inbreeding, and deformed children. None the wiser. But, thanks to DC advocates, your time is up.

Last edited by ljc; 22nd March 2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: No name-calling, please.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 20th March 2018, 04:36 AM
spruithean spruithean is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 615
Talking to people like that^ isn't going to get you any of the answers or discussion you want.

If you want to widen your search have you entered your markers into the search function at the rather decrepit YSearch website? Have you tested your autosomal DNA at AncestryDNA, 23andMe or other companies? While it can be expensive widening the search pool could find cousins or other relatives. In your case autosomal DNA has a better chance of finding more relevant DNA matches than the Y-DNA imo. Y-matches can be extremely old depending on your genetic distance, haplogroup or convergence.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 20th March 2018, 11:29 PM
JDM1984 JDM1984 is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lowell, MA, USA
Posts: 15
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
Talking to people like that^ isn't going to get you any of the answers or discussion you want.

If you want to widen your search have you entered your markers into the search function at the rather decrepit YSearch website? Have you tested your autosomal DNA at AncestryDNA, 23andMe or other companies? While it can be expensive widening the search pool could find cousins or other relatives. In your case autosomal DNA has a better chance of finding more relevant DNA matches than the Y-DNA imo. Y-matches can be extremely old depending on your genetic distance, haplogroup or convergence.
That's okay. I'm not interested in making friends with people who support egg/sperm gamete donor anonymity. You're not my friend if you go "well...can you see it from the donor's side?" No, I don't. I will own anyone in the intellectual argument over this.

So, I've tested them all and I just uploaded my mom's 23andMe and MyHeritage to GedMatch to compare. They still have to be tokenized.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 21st March 2018, 04:29 AM
spruithean spruithean is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 615
Who has said they even support it? Any of the comments in that "opposing" view have been "devil's advocate" in this thread. It's not about making friends and that's okay, but being disrespectful is just not going to get you anywhere whether you wanted "friends" or not.

If you don't have any relevant matches as of yet please be patient, people who could be relevant to the information you are looking for may have not yet tested! It takes some people years to find what they are looking for.

I recall you mentioned a half-sibling is there anything about their autosomal results that significantly differs from yours? Perhaps there is a region you inherited that is significant in discovering your paternal origins?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Y111 vs Y12 mgillett Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics 3 24th February 2018 03:14 AM
Question abt. Y111 Upgrade Cat1 Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Basics 3 15th February 2018 08:51 PM
Y111 vs Y37 results Oldcrone Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics 12 30th July 2017 10:35 AM
$20 off Y37,Y67 or Y111 LarryBurford Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics 0 25th December 2015 09:42 AM
Upgrading Y67 to Y111 Peter MacDonald Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced 8 2nd February 2013 07:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.