Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Recreation Room

Recreation Room This is a good place for chatting about off topic subjects and just having fun together. Keep the humor PG13 and things friendly please.

Old 18th March 2018, 07:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Contemplator View Post
Why would admitting that race (or ethnicity) exists automatically mean you have to ask which one is better? That is like saying now that we know there are other nations we HAVE to ask which one is better. Why bother? Who decides the traits that makes a nation the best? People can be curious about what their ancestors may have been. Does not make them bigots to wonder or use such labels as imperfect as they may be.

Just seems a little odd to me. People are curious about the non living that they'll never know but don't wish to see living people related to them from the tests. Just seems a little off.
Old 18th March 2018, 07:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intevel View Post
Well if you're going to admit that race exists, then we have to dig deeper. Which race is the best? Am I racist for asking that question? Because if you say one thing, you cannot just ignore another.
Exactly!

That is why there was a period in the US history, when those immigrants from Europe who were not speaking English had been considered unintelligent savages. There were even IQ (or whatever the name was at that time) tests to prove it. Oh, did I mention that instructions were in English? What if they were pictorials, but referred to things exclusive to America at that time?

And what a choice of criteria has to do with DNA, DNA testing, genealogy, genetic genealogy or FTDNA ?

Mr. W.
Old 18th March 2018, 10:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intevel View Post
Well if you're going to admit that race exists, then we have to dig deeper. Which race is the best? Am I racist for asking that question? Because if you say one thing, you cannot just ignore another.
No, I am recognizing and affirming that race exists, and you are in denial that race exists.

Quote:
Which race is the best?
With that provocative comment you are now baiting us, and I'm not taking your bait.

Quote:
Am I racist for asking that question?
Perhaps you are. But you obviously are being deliberately provocative, and thus engaging in race baiting.

I'm not ignoring the concept of race. You have told us that you are doing that in your denying that race exists. This amounts to trolling - literally by using race baiting as a lure.
Old 18th March 2018, 10:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Exactly!

That is why there was a period in the US history, when those immigrants from Europe who were not speaking English had been considered unintelligent savages. There were even IQ (or whatever the name was at that time) tests to prove it. Oh, did I mention that instructions were in English? What if they were pictorials, but referred to things exclusive to America at that time?

Mr. W.
Mr. W,

My grandparents were immigrants to America who came here legally. They were not considered "unintelligent savages"at all. They were literate, but not in the English language. And no, an IQ test was not applied to immigrants entering the country, despite your wanting us to believe that it was.

Your spin on past immigration is as obvious as it is fallacious.
Old 18th March 2018, 11:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpathian View Post
Mr. W,

My grandparents were immigrants to America who came here legally. They were not considered "unintelligent savages"at all. They were literate, but not in the English language. And no, an IQ test was not applied to immigrants entering the country, despite your wanting us to believe that it was.

Your spin on past immigration is as obvious as it is fallacious.
I did not say all... And here is a sample read about such IQ tests performed 1892-1954
Challenging the Immigrant. The Ellis Island intelligence tests, 1915
The bad stories are not in annals of immigration, but in annals of test design. And problems with test design are present in the present. Although, this time it is rather lack of time and money, than lack of knowledge. How do you test people with dysgraphia or/and dyslexia together with those who do not have them... It is probably not intuitive that people with dyscalculia exist among those who have IQ higher than average... Etc.

Let's say, a US company considers outsourcing. The bids come from India, Mexico and Romania. Depending how the test task is specified, any of these countries could be (inadvertently!) given a much bigger chance to win. And then there will be water cooler conversations...

A pictorial of a US rural mailbox with its semaphore flag was initially used to indicate state of electronic mailboxes. Dummies elsewhere could not comprehend it... {{ That was a sarcasm. }}

Mr. W.

Last edited by dna; 18th March 2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 19th March 2018, 04:09 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
No, I am recognizing and affirming that race exists, and you are in denial that race exists.

Am I denying that it exists? I said that we're supposed to be getting past it and become individuals.

I'm not ignoring the concept of race. You have told us that you are doing that in your denying that race exists. This amounts to trolling - literally by using race baiting as a lure.

Well I don't understand. you want to tell me I'm in denial. But then when I ask the deep questions, you wanna back off and tell me I'm trying to bait you. Why does this always happen?
Old 19th March 2018, 05:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

I read an interesting article on white supremacists taking DNA tests to prove their "purity" only to find out their heritage was not as "pure" as they wanted.

If anything, DNA testing will help us understand how mixed our heritage really is and how artificial the lines between ethnicities are.

Yes, there are ethnicities/races, groups that share biological traits, groups that share cultural traits. Ignoring those differences completely is absurd and potentially dangerous (e.g., for medical treatment).
Old 19th March 2018, 08:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
A pictorial of a US rural mailbox with its semaphore flag was initially used to indicate state of electronic mailboxes. Dummies elsewhere could not comprehend it... {{ That was a sarcasm.
Mr. W.,

Enjoy your sarcasm. Most of us are here to enjoy the discussion of genealogy.

Last edited by Carpathian; 19th March 2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 19th March 2018, 08:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

Intevel commented:

Quote:
Well I don't understand. you want to tell me I'm in denial. But then when I ask the deep questions, you wanna back off and tell me I'm trying to bait you. Why does this always happen?
Always? Tell me where this "always" happens. Do you know me from elsewhere? Perhaps you do understand. Tell me who you are and where "this" has happened before.
Old 19th March 2018, 10:34 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Intevel commented:

Always? Tell me where this "always" happens. Do you know me from elsewhere? Perhaps you do understand. Tell me who you are and where "this" has happened before.

I'm saying in general. People that say certain things about race have a limit. But when it's convenient to bring it up they will. But certain things they say they won't go there. That's why I've always been confused.