Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Advanced Topics

mtDNA - Advanced Topics Users can exchange advanced information here on mtDNA testing, results, and questions. You must register and sign in to view or post in this forum.

Old 25th March 2013, 11:40 AM

mtDNA result differences FTDNA and Ancestry

I'm in the H haplogroup but from the beginning my mtDNA testing came back late last year I eventually had G-Aunt's is U4, which came as surprise!, and is a smaller haplogroup than the H, yet she has almost 700 matches to date. I uploaded my results to Ancestry.com and they state that my mtDNA is an exact match to the cRCS of which only 5% of the population does. That would explain not having any matches. FTDNA has been testing for many years and yet not one match to me. I open my match page at Ancestry and was more than a little stunned to discover that I have nearly 200 matches there. They represent many haplogroups as well. This doesn't make sense since I match only 5% of people in the world. Could the fact that I uploaded the results instead of taking the test there have made a difference. I appreciate any explanation some one can come up with!
Old 25th March 2013, 12:21 PM

if i had to guess, i'd presume ftdna is looking at exact matches only and Ancestry is including several steps in your results.
Old 25th March 2013, 12:31 PM

mtDNA matches at Ancestry

That was the first thing I checked and according them every single one is an exact match as well. I more than a little surprised that Ancestry has managed to find so many people who match to a such rare event!
Old 25th March 2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedted29 View Post
That was the first thing I checked and according them every single one is an exact match as well. I more than a little surprised that Ancestry has managed to find so many people who match to a such rare event!
but you said they're all different haplogroups? are you sure they aren't comparing just a subset of what you have tested? maybe they're just doing HVR1?

the very fact that they constitute different haplogroups at all is very suspect to me.
Old 25th March 2013, 02:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Ancestry only accepts HVR's, and insofar as your aunt matches so many of other haplogroups, her HVR differences are not defining. As to what haplogroup she actually belongs - test her for FMS.
Old 25th March 2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedted29 View Post
I'm in the H haplogroup but from the beginning my mtDNA testing came back late last year I eventually had G-Aunt's is U4, which came as surprise!, and is a smaller haplogroup than the H, yet she has almost 700 matches to date. I uploaded my results to Ancestry.com and they state that my mtDNA is an exact match to the cRCS of which only 5% of the population does. That would explain not having any matches. FTDNA has been testing for many years and yet not one match to me. I open my match page at Ancestry and was more than a little stunned to discover that I have nearly 200 matches there. They represent many haplogroups as well. This doesn't make sense since I match only 5% of people in the world. Could the fact that I uploaded the results instead of taking the test there have made a difference. I appreciate any explanation some one can come up with!
Just to be clear:
  • Which tests did you take with Ancestry?
  • Which tests did you take with FT-DNA?
Old 26th March 2013, 12:29 AM

Ancestry's mtDNA matches

I was right and there are numerous haplgroups represented. I have only done Ancestry's autosomal DNA to compare result to FTDNA. I had both HV1 and HV2 testing done but the full sequence. FTDNA does even show HV1 matches to me. I entered the values of my mtDNA manually at Ancestry

This is the list of mtDNA matches that appear at Ancestry and they all indicate a 0 next to the match thus showing it as an exact match. Sorry it's a long one! I was pretty sure I'd never seen or heard of 2 different groups being an exact match at least. I would be very surprised to discover that Ancestry has managed to test that many people of which according them even, only 5% of the entire population of the world is an exact match to rCRS. They aren't even allowing international participation at this time. What does this say to you? It certainly makes no sense to me. Thank you, Dawn

Maternal Ancestral Group

H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H

H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
B
H

T1
U4

H
H
H
H
H

H
H
H

H
H
T
H
H1b
U4

J2
T2

J2
H
H1*
H1*
H
H
H
L2
A
H*
J*
H
H3
T2
H
T

H
N1b
T2
H
H
H
N1b
H
H1*
H
H4
T
H
J1
H
H
H
H
J1a
T
U5a1a
H
H
H
H
HV1
H
H*
L1c
H4
H
H*
H
D
I
H
U5a1a

H1a1
H
H
K
HV1
U
H13
J
L3e
T2

H
HV1
U1a
H13
U
R1
H*
H2*
H
L1
R1

H
U5
H
H
B
J1b1
H*
L3e
K
A
H
H

H
H

H
J1
C
T2
J2
U3
T1
B
H2a1
H1
L3e
C
H*
A
A
H
H
H
I
HV*
H
V
I
R1
H*
C
H
H3
H
K
A
H
T2
U4
H
M
L2
HV
L2
H
L2
K
L
HV
J
A
L3
U6a*
X
H
M*
L3e
U4
R1
H
H
C
T3
R1
J
J1
H
I
V
H
H5a1
L2a
H*
H10
A
H
N1c
H
L1a
J2
H
U
B
N*
T

Y
R1
A
H
R
H
H
H

N1b
A
U
H
H
U
Old 26th March 2013, 09:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

If you tested your aunt's mtDNA through FTDNA I would trust FTDNA's haplogroup assignment and their matches. FTDNA does a Coding Region SNP test to confirm assignment based on HVR differences.

Ancestry may rely on HVR alone without Coding Region testing and your aunt's HVR differences are not defining - HVR alone is sufficient to determine her haplogroup and relevant matches.

You wrote in your original post: "I eventually had G-Aunt's is U4, which came as surprise!" Is the "surprise" because your Great Aunt is on the same maternal line as your mother?
Old 26th March 2013, 06:52 PM
Webinar Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
If you tested your aunt's mtDNA through FTDNA I would trust FTDNA's haplogroup assignment and their matches. FTDNA does a Coding Region SNP test to confirm assignment based on HVR differences.

Ancestry may rely on HVR alone without Coding Region testing and your aunt's HVR differences are not defining
Correct. FTDNA tests a panel haplogroup-defining SNPs to provide a confirmed haplogroup. FTDNA also does "smart-matching" to eliminate HVR matches who are in a completely different haplogroup.

Are the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroups predicted or confirmed?
http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=10#477

What is SmartMatching? How does it impact my mtDNA matches? Where is it used?
http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/ans...spx?id=10#1424

Ancestry, to my knowledge, only predicts the mtDNA haplogroup. They also display all HVR matches, regardless of the haplogroup.

Elise