Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Basics

Old 11th October 2017, 09:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

Ah, I think I get it. So, if I'm somehow able to determine what "category" the segment of DNA is, I'd be able to determine if my matches with these individuals is from a shared either a shared Jewish or Non-Jewish ancestor? Is there a way I could go about doing that with GEDMatch? I know you mentioned the details with triangulation, but I don't think I have the know how or experience to do that sort of thing, unless there is an easier method through GEDMatch.

By the way, I really appreciate your help, you've been very, very thorough.
Old 11th October 2017, 12:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

[QUOTE=EndlessResearch;444366]Ah, I think I get it. So, if I'm somehow able to determine what "category" the segment of DNA is, I'd be able to determine if my matches with these individuals is from a shared either a shared Jewish or Non-Jewish ancestor? Is there a way I could go about doing that with GEDMatch? I know you mentioned the details with triangulation, but I don't think I have the know how or experience to do that sort of thing, unless there is an easier method through GEDMatch.

By the way, I really appreciate your help, you've been very, very thorough.[/QUOTE

There is no easy way to separate autosomal regions for Jews and non Jews---they share many of the same regions. It has proven difficult to separate Ashkenazis from southern Italians and some Lebanese. Most Jews have a significant Levantine component but so do other groups. What distinguishes Jews is the particular percentages in the composite. Looking at matches is usually helpful. Part-Jews may have a limited number of Jewish matches depending on specific ancestry.

Last edited by josh w.; 11th October 2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks for your input - I was doing that and most of the matches largest segments were 'East Med' on Eurogenes K15 - an admixture I seem to lack on my own chart. Some of them, like I said, did appear to have varying components of European segments that match up with my own like Atlantic, North Sea, and Baltic, but they weren't usually in significant numbers, so I have no real idea on how to be sure. I'm still researching and trying to understand if there is a possible way to verify if these matches indicate Jewish ancestry or not, and I appreciate all suggested methods of doing so.