Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Jan 2009

25 marker matches

I have 375 25 marker matches. The majority 99% don't belong in the same branch of R1b as I do. The common ancestor would be L11. The TMRCA of L11 could be anywhere between 6 and 8000 ybp. I know it is not the same for all testers but I want to let some people know how far out 25 markers can be.
  • Jim Barrett
    R-BY55907
    • Apr 2003

Or a 25 marker match could be a very close relative:brother, father or cousin.

Comment

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
      Or a 25 marker match could be a very close relative:brother, father or cousin.
      There is no need to test brothers or cousins as they should have the same ydna unless one doubts that they are.

Comment

• Jim Barrett
        R-BY55907
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
        There is no need to test brothers or cousins as they should have the same ydna unless one doubts that they are.
        Not always! If there can be a mutation after 25 generation there had to have been a mutation at one generation somewhere along the line.

Comment

• fmoakes
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jul 2005

I had a brother, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cousin test (simultaneous samples at a family reunion) after my test showed I was not even in the same Haplogroup as the others in our Surname Project. This showed we were a different branch of the surname. I have since discovered that I have a personal mutation at DYS 710. There are now nine of us in my project sub-group and I am the only one with 31 at DYS 710.

Comment

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by fmoakes View Post
            I had a brother, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cousin test (simultaneous samples at a family reunion) after my test showed I was not even in the same Haplogroup as the others in our Surname Project. This showed we were a different branch of the surname. I have since discovered that I have a personal mutation at DYS 710. There are now nine of us in my project sub-group and I am the only one with 31 at DYS 710.
            Some brothers and cousins have exact matches at 67 markers. If one has a good 67 match with someone with the same surname they are most likely to be related to them. If they don't have the same surname then they would need SNP tests to confirm the depth of the relationship.

Comment

• Jan 2009

There are 66 R1b men on the semargl website with DYS 710=31.

Comment

• fmoakes
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jul 2005

There are 66 R1b men on the semargl website with DYS 710=31.
                My sub group is Haplogroup "I" and I only became aware of my private DYS 710 mutation when we upgraded to 111 markers. DYS 710 is Marker #68 at FTDNA.

Comment

• Jan 2009

My sub group is Haplogroup "I" and I only became aware of my private DYS 710 mutation when we upgraded to 111 markers. DYS 710 is Marker #68 at FTDNA.
                  DYS 710=31 is not unusual in the I haplogroup and you can see it yourself. There are 244 men of the I1 subgroup on the semargl site with 31 and 208 of the I2 subgroup. You could look for SNP matches on that site.

Comment

• psampson67
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Apr 2016

I have 375 25 marker matches. The majority 99% don't belong in the same branch of R1b as I do. The common ancestor would be L11. The TMRCA of L11 could be anywhere between 6 and 8000 ybp. I know it is not the same for all testers but I want to let some people know how far out 25 markers can be.
                    I thought STR markers indicated possible TMRCA upto 29 generations, at least that was my understanding. I have 43 Y25 matches, all different surnames under R-M269. Five have tested further that I can place on the haplotree and all on different branches. Also one match at Y12 (GD1) is also a Big Y match but not Y25

Comment

• wombat
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Apr 2015

Most surnames have tons of totally unrelated families belonging to them. Just because people share a surname doesn't mean they are a different related branch. They are probably not related at all (well I mean maybe 4000 or 20,000 years ago or something but that is anotehr matter).

Comment

• jova99
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • May 2015

ignore 25 marker matches

I have 307 25-market matches, only 22 of them match me on the 37 marker level. I would ignore all matches below the 37 marker results, most of them will not even be in the same haplogroup.

Comment

• georgian1950
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by jova99 View Post
                          I have 307 25-market matches, only 22 of them match me on the 37 marker level. I would ignore all matches below the 37 marker results, most of them will not even be in the same haplogroup.
                          How many of those 307 only tested at 25 markers? If I had a GD=0 match at 25 with someone who had only tested 25, I would consider contacting them and urging them to test for more markers.

Jack Wyatt

Comment

• jova99
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • May 2015

it appears all my 25 marker matches have tested to at least 37-markers.

looking at matches at the 25-marker level is a waste of time. many of the matches who have down SNP testing have haplogroups which diverged from mine 4,700 years ago. FTDNA should filter these out and not try to guess the Genetic distance when the SNP testing indicates their guesses are not accurate.

Comment

Working...
                            X