• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarjorieF
    FTDNA Customer
    • Mar 2017

Genographic results in!

I had my father tested at Ancestry, which I feel I basically understand though there's lots of interesting work to do. He also tested at the Genographic Project. These results just came in, and I transferred them to FamilyTreeDNA. I believe I need to upgrade at FamilyTreeDNA to do any genealogy work with the Genographic transfer. But I'm not sure if I should see something immediately? I'm just trying to get my bearings at this new-to-me site.

I've got haplogroups as well, and I'm keen to understand better what that tells me. But there, too, I I'll need to upgrade for more than the basic (and interesting) information I've already gotten, correct? Which is fine, I always intended to do more with mtDNA and Y-DNA.

Thanks!

(Side question: is the Genographic Project's regional ancestry "older" than Ancestry's, and that's why Eastern European shows up there. I have no paper trail to Eastern Europe.)
  • Armando
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jun 2009

The main things that you will see are a Y-DNA haplogroup, an mtDNA haplogroup, the FTDNA haplotree which has the positive SNPs from the the Genographic Project, a links for
    • an upgrade to Y-DNA STR testing which would provide Y-DNA matches and also allow for a BigY test
    • an upgrade to Family Finder which is the autosomal test which would show the ethnicity calculator results in myOrigins and it would provide a list of autosomal matches
    • an mtDNA upgrade which would test the full mtDNA and show a list of mtDNA matches if there are any

You can join his kit to haplogroup projects that pertain to his Y-DNA subclade and to his mtDNA subclade in the meantime.

Eastern European shows up for people that it shouldn't in the Genographic Project and FTDNA myOrigins but not AncestryDNA or 23andme. It's a common problem. FTDNA has been trying to upgrade myOrigins for a while. The Genographic Project NextGen uses the FTDNA calculator unless it's the Geno NextGen Helix
    Last edited by Armando; 19 March 2017, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Ann Turner
      FTDNA Customer
      • Apr 2003

Where do you live, Marjorie? If you're in the US, my understanding is that the testing would have been done by Helix. I didn't know that anything could be transferred to FTDNA.

Comment

• MarjorieF
        FTDNA Customer
        • Mar 2017

Thanks, Armando. So I'm seeing all I should see, then. They seem to be suggesting SNP testing for the Y-DNA, but I haven't even done a Y37 yet, I don't think. Clearly, my understanding of Y-DNA testing is limited.

And thanks for explaining about Eastern European.

Ann—I'm in Canada. But my father's test was quite delayed so I think it went through before the switch to Helix anyway. (Not entirely sure, but I'm happy to have it over at FTDNA!)

Comment

• stibo
          FTDNA Customer
          • Sep 2016

I recently ordered a geno 2.0 kit (I'm in canada) and I was surprised to find out it's not the type of kit that they send to US customers (the helix kit) and so I think I should be able to transfer mine to ftdna.

@MarjorieF,
          How long did it take for nat geo to recieve your kit after you mailed it in? did you use Canada Post to send yours to them? Thanks very much

Comment

• MarjorieF
            FTDNA Customer
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by stibo View Post
            @MarjorieF,
            How long did it take for nat geo to recieve your kit after you mailed it in? did you use Canada Post to send yours to them? Thanks very much
            I have no idea, I'm afraid. But my kit had issues because it was very, very old (the first incarnation) and it got "stuck" in processing for a while. It also didn't have any kind of tracking system. The upside was they upgraded it from the original, which was only for Y, and gave mtDNA results as well.

I hope yours moves quickly!

Comment

• DavidFB
              FTDNA Customer
              • Jun 2017

Black kit

I'm Canadian and got the older black cheek swab kit. This I could and did upload to FTDNA this month.

It took 8 weeks for the results but I didn't get notified when they were up.

The only report that had much value was deep ancestry which is now available on 23andMe and FTDNA too. There was just very slightly more detail.

The advantage of coming to FTDNA through Genographic is much reduced now.

Comment

• DavidFB
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jun 2017

And yes, I used Canada Post.

Comment

• MarjorieF
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by DavidFB View Post
                  The only report that had much value was deep ancestry which is now available on 23andMe and FTDNA too. There was just very slightly more detail.

Transferring to FTDNA did get me quite a bit further in my father's Y haplogroup (but didn't change anything for the mt haplogroup). I'm sure its worth varies from person to person, and I did end up wanting to test further, so fair warning!

Comment

• stibo
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Sep 2016

Originally posted by DavidFB View Post
                    I'm Canadian and got the older black cheek swab kit. This I could and did upload to FTDNA this month.

It took 8 weeks for the results but I didn't get notified when they were up.

Thank you. I'm really wanting to know if it took them a long time compared to other companies to receive the kit you sent in, as in notify you that they have it at their lab. I'm worried it might just end up never being received as it's been over three weeks since I've sent it now, and having sent several other DNA kits in in the past I've never had to wait this long to be notified of this.
                    Thanks again

Comment

• stibo
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Sep 2016

disregard my previous post, they have started processing my sample.
                      Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X