Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 15th January 2018, 01:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
Rebecca, I have not tested with either company and cannot give a clear answer. I think My Heritage is OK. I think they have a component from the Levant but I have not been able to find their list of Founder Populations and might be incorrect--see below. My concern is that the program might suggest that Jews and other Levantines do not have the same origin in Asia

There are problems with Ancestry. As you noted, they deliberately created a sort of Levantine region that excluded Jews. All dna research of the region indicates that this is nonsense. 'European Jews' is a misleading category since about half of the Jewish lines are from Asia. (At least DNA Land included both Europe and the Levant) In addition, European really means Ashkenazis

Clarification, MO 2 does have a Levantine region (West Middle East). However, those with Jewish ancestry are not shown that they have Levantine ancestry----Jewish preempts Levantine ancestry. This might lead some Jews to mistakenly conclude that they do not have Levantine ancestry. Without modern dna regarding the Levant, Arthur Koestler concluded that Jews had Khazarian origins. (See Khazaria's "The Jews of Khazaria")
My concern about My Heritage was justified. It has separate Jewish and non Jewish Levantine (West Middle East) Founder Populations. The West Middle East samples were from Druze and Bedouins. This reflects a political rather than scientific decision. As Atzmon has shown, Druze and Jews fall within the same cluster. Druze are a bit closer to Syrian Jews as compared to European Jews but Atzmon lumped Syrian Jews and European Jews together reflecting the same origins. Bedouins are more distant from Jews, probably reflecting an Arabian component

In terms of ancient origins, Jews, Bedouins and Druze have similar levels of a Natufian component. The Natufians were among the first settlers of the land known as Israel about 10,000 years ago.

Last edited by josh w.; 15th January 2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 15th January 2018, 03:00 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you again for all of your insight, Josh. I find this all so fascinating and I am learning so much.
Old 15th January 2018, 06:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaR View Post
Thank you again for all of your insight, Josh. I find this all so fascinating and I am learning so much.
Thanks. I hope that I was clear that all testing companies are familiar with the research showing that Jews have Levantine origins. Some have chosen not to note the connection or wish to separate Jews from other Levantine groups.
Old 16th January 2018, 01:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

Which Gedmatch Admixture do you use to find Sephardic roots?

Yes, Josh and Rebecca, thank you both for you very informative inputs!
Old 6th February 2018, 12:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

Which Gedmatch Admixture do you use to find Sephardic roots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaR View Post
To me, these results are more telling than the first ones you posted, because these show a closer distance. Now you're into the 1 point somethings whereas before it was only 5 point somethings.

With my Uncle, I just ran a whole bunch of GEDMatch projects and then listed them from closest to farthest, trying to get a full picture of what the various projects were saying. I got his down to 0.938510 at closest, so see if you can better your results too.
Rebecca, I did as you suggested and listed relevant Jewish Admixtures from closest to farthest and got it down to under 1! It shows an interesting history and is easier to follow I think. Not sure how far back in time this is though or how strong my Jewish ancestry is. Perhaps I should consider arranging a retrospective Bar Mitzvah

4.2% Morocco_Jews @ 0.77
4.9% Ashkenazi @ 0.79
2.7% Yemen_Jews @ 0.79
4.9% Ashkenazy_Jews @ 0.8
4.2% Sephardic_Jews @ 0.82
7.4% Jew-Iran @ 1.3
7.5% Jew-Iraqi @ 1.34
7.6% Jew_Iraqi @ 1.34
7.6% Jew_Kurd @ 1.36
7.7% Jew-Uzbekistan @ 1.41
7.8% Jew_Georgia @ 1.41
7.5% Jew_Tat @ 1.43
13.8% Ashkenazi_Jew @ 1.44
7.5% Jew_Azerbaijan @ 1.48
6.9% Iraqi_Jew @ 1.5
4.8% Georgian_Jew @ 1.51
5.5% Ashkenazi_Jew @ 1.57
58.4% Morocco_Jews @ 3.02
52.1% North African Jews @ 4.55
50% North_African_Jews @ 4.768189
18.8% Iraqi_Jew @ 6.24
Old 16th February 2018, 03:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

I have uploaded to them all.GedMatch can be very confusing.Its impossible to contact the site managers.The Eurogenes vs Dodecad gives different things.I wish they would be more approachable for help/questions.I am tired of trying to decipher all different countries on all different maps with all different companies.
If they would finally come up with a Sephardic separate cayegory it would
Make all the difference in the world.One or two do not correlate.
The North Africa and East West Med definitions everywhere are really out there.How can you be Moroccan,Cypriot and Italian (jews)??
Old 16th February 2018, 06:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamio View Post
I have uploaded to them all.GedMatch can be very confusing.Its impossible to contact the site managers.The Eurogenes vs Dodecad gives different things.I wish they would be more approachable for help/questions.I am tired of trying to decipher all different countries on all different maps with all different companies.
If they would finally come up with a Sephardic separate cayegory it would
Make all the difference in the world.One or two do not correlate.
The North Africa and East West Med definitions everywhere are really out there.How can you be Moroccan,Cypriot and Italian (jews)??
Why are you trying to decipher these various countries on the maps provided by different companies? Each one is using different reference populations.
Old 18th February 2018, 11:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

Sephardic? Or other?

My Origins. never showed me as Sephardic. Only Southern European.
Others have North African.Levant,Sephardic and East Med.
Uploading to GedMatch is the best thing.None of the Sephardic matches replied to me.I a, having a hard enough time with my Ashkenazi matches as it is.So many think you have to have a common surname.Helllooooo?
Way past GTGtGt Gm Sally Doe are ones we donít know!
The only way to know is to compare with the browsers to find a common ethnicity/ relative,if possible.Alot of time and work.