• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Apr 2003

Family Tree Software

Family Tree DNA is starting this thread to have you vote for the Family Tree Software of your choice. If you use one that is not listed in this poll, please let me know and I'll be happy to add.
    Wholly Genes (TMC - The Master Genealogist)
    13.56%
    Legacy Family Tree (Millenia)
    16.92%
    Family Tree Maker
    81.55%
    Family Tree Legends
    2.65%
    PAF - Personal Ancestral File
    16.31%
    Reunion for Mac's
    12.44%
    Family Origins
    2.75%
    The Master Genealogist
    1.22%
    Brother's Keeper
    6.01%
    Generations Family Tree
    3.36%
    Roots Magic
    10.60%
    MyRoots
    0.71%
    Ancestry.com online
    21.00%
    Ancestral Quest
    1.63%
    I don't use a software
    8.46%
    Max Blankfeld
    Vice-President and COO @ Family Tree DNA
    A Gene by Gene Company

How about a category for other?

My favorite is Family Origins.

Comment

• Jim Denning
      • Aug 2004

http://www.spansoft.org/ = Kith and Kin

Free download genealogy software for family history. Store your ancestry in an easy to use database app for Windows. Download our family tree charting app.

my fav is Kith and Kin and especially the 3.1 version which allows you to cut and paste from the record to the software and backwards. which allows emailing results with much less time involved

i couldnt vote but i should of been able to

Comment

• Jim Denning
        • Aug 2004

not every new program is actually better then the old one

Comment

Brother's Keeper

I did not see Brother's Keeper in your list. I have used it for a decade and watched it grow with me from DOS to Windows.

Comment

• Asparagirl

Brother's Keeper

I, too, use Brother's Keeper as my genealogy program, and have for many years now.

- Brooke Schreier Ganz
            Los Angeles, California

Comment

• Marilyn Souders

Family Tree Software

I use Family Tree Maker 2005. I have used this software since they were Banner Blue. I am pleased with the latest features in version 2005. Three of my relatives have bought this software on my recommendation.

Comment

• Unregistered

I use PAF but have purchased Legacy, the upgraded (not free) version that I hope to learn to use as soon as I can wrestle myself away from genealogy for an hour to learn the software

Roberta Estes

Comment

• Allen Blancett

I use FTM, but . . .

Originally posted by admin
                  Family Tree DNA is starting this thread to have you vote for the Family Tree Software of your choice. If you use one that is not listed in this poll, please let me know and I'll be happy to add.
                  I use Family Tree Maker 2005. I'd switch in a heartbeat if I could find a package that would offer what FTM provides, plus full text searching capability covering any entries I had made. For example, I put things in notes for an individual, but I can't search those notes and all others for a key word--name, location, date, etc.

I eagerly await results of your survey to find out where I might find a better choice.

Comment

I used Generations Family Tree version 8.5, that is not listed. It is old and not supported any more but it does things that the newer ones don't and has a much friendlier interface than Family Tree Maker, in my opinion.

Comment

Max, I use RootsMagic. It's the new version of Family Origins which is one of the selections. The two are very much alike but RM has all of the new features and FO is no longer being updated. I don't know if you want to make a single entry for Family Origins/RootsMagic or make RM a separate listing.

Incidentally, I also have current versions of TMG and FTM, but RM is my preference.

A tip for travelers: My Roots from Tapperware will pull a genealogy file from your computer to your Palm handheld.

Jim Bullock
                      Littleton, Colorado
                      [email protected]

Comment

Family Tree Software

Using Reunion 8.05 and MyRoots 3.04
                        Clay

Comment

• A.Hunt
                          • Feb 2004

I use the Ancestry.com online website for pedigree. It appear not listed on you voting list.

Comment

• Unregistered

Ancestral Quest

You left out Ancestral Quest. I am aware of the programs listed but AQ is by far the best and it will do the most things. The more you use it the better you will become. My file currently has 45,000 people with no problems. You can download a test copy from the web site with the same name.

Comment

• Jim Denning
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Allen Blancett
                              I use Family Tree Maker 2005. I'd switch in a heartbeat if I could find a package that would offer what FTM provides, plus full text searching capability covering any entries I had made. For example, I put things in notes for an individual, but I can't search those notes and all others for a key word--name, location, date, etc.

I eagerly await results of your survey to find out where I might find a better choice.
                              try kith kin [spansoft]

ythe new ones are good but the 3.1 is fantastic.
                              cutting and pasting from a record to a email or record is the best feature ever for people with large databases [80,000+] and people who actually use them in relationship to mailing lists. retyping all that data is a real bummer
                              it doesnt matter i have to use a ME2000 or lower computor. i hate xp anyways i dont need the clouds.

i just wish they would rerelease a newer version of the 3.1 program with cut and paste of course

Comment

Working...
                              X