Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 24th March 2017, 08:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you MMaddi,

No, I did take the full sequence mtdna test and I have absolutely zero matches, which seems very strange to me. This test was taken over a year ago...
I suspect I must be an alien Is it possible that I have such an uncommon subclade?
Old 24th March 2017, 08:30 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora View Post
Thank you MMaddi,

No, I did take the full sequence mtdna test and I have absolutely zero matches, which seems very strange to me. This test was taken over a year ago...
I suspect I must be an alien Is it possible that I have such an uncommon subclade?
For you to have taken the full sequence test and have no matches at all, it must mean that you have at least 4 uncommon mutations. The up side of that is that there's a good chance that anyone who differs with you on only one or two mutations shares a common ancestor with you in the last few hundred years.
Old 24th March 2017, 10:00 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
For you to have taken the full sequence test and have no matches at all, it must mean that you have at least 4 uncommon mutations. The up side of that is that there's a good chance that anyone who differs with you on only one or two mutations shares a common ancestor with you in the last few hundred years.
i ordered the fms for my grandpa's uncle but yet has only one hrv1 match(who is b4'5.). i was really expecting more matches , but unfortunately he only has one. i hope closer matches come soon since i hope to break a brick wall on that side. this is frustrating since i'm sure there's several people who are b2 or b4'5

Last edited by crossover; 24th March 2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 25th March 2017, 05:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
MMaddi

Curious as to how we can tell what is an uncommon mutation. I also have never had a match, having taken the full sequence test several years ago. I always figured it was because my maternal line comes from a small remote village in Switzerland.

Auslander
Old 25th March 2017, 05:19 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslander View Post
MMaddi

Curious as to how we can tell what is an uncommon mutation. I also have never had a match, having taken the full sequence test several years ago. I always figured it was because my maternal line comes from a small remote village in Switzerland.

Auslander
What's your haplogroup/subclade? Have you joined the appropriate haplogroup project? The administrators of the appropriate project would be more knowledgeable than me about what might be uncommon mutations you have that are stopping you from getting matches.
Old 26th March 2017, 01:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I'm interested in what you've said. Please, how do you estimate time since the common ancestor until us? I've also done the mtFull test, and I have just 9 matches in HVR1, HVR2 and coding regions, one of them being an exact match (GD = 0). My mt hg is V3, and I have 7 extra mutations. Until now I've found no use for this information, so it would be nice to be able to estimate time from the common ancestor I may have with my exact match. If you could indicate some reading about this subject, it would be very nice too. I thank you in advance.
Old 26th March 2017, 05:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Thank you MMadi for your explanation. Well, I guess I will have to wait for a long time until I get the first match with those weird, uncommon mutations!
If several of my Mtdna mutations are uncommon, does it mean that this line of J1c doesn't have many surviving descendants or is it maybe caused by inbreeding?

What is the established mutation rate for mtdna? One mutation every 25 to 40 generations (about 500 to 800 years)?
Old 29th March 2017, 03:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Unhappy matches for T2b3

I also have very little to go on. I have been at this for about 10 years. Sure I know I have cousins, and my line is supposedly from the Ukraine, (I also know that). I can't find any matches and only supposition that it is from the Yamnaya people. I give up!!
Old 6th April 2017, 12:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

I got k1a4a1 with an exact match for base k1a4a1 plus two unique coding region mutations. I have one distance 0 match (from Lithuania, most of my heritage is from Latvia right next door; I suspect our strictly maternal line traces back out of Latvian to the Netherlands) and one distance 1 match (they have only one of our two unique coding region mutations) and they trace to Italy into the 1600s. I suspect that I might well be related to the distance 0 match within family tree relevant time frame. The distance 1 match could easily be 500-3000 years back though perhaps, maybe more towards the somewhat longer end?

The cool thing is that since we have three people with exact base k1a4a1 plus a shared unique stable coding region extra we could form a new k1a4a1j and then our distance 0 match and us could for a new sub-sub-branch k1a4a1j1! I hope they other two will submit to the proper place so we can get a new branch defined for us!
Old 18th April 2017, 09:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
I got k1a4a1 with an exact match for base k1a4a1 plus two unique coding region mutations. I have one distance 0 match (from Lithuania, most of my heritage is from Latvia right next door; I suspect our strictly maternal line traces back out of Latvian to the Netherlands) and one distance 1 match (they have only one of our two unique coding region mutations) and they trace to Italy into the 1600s. I suspect that I might well be related to the distance 0 match within family tree relevant time frame. The distance 1 match could easily be 500-3000 years back though perhaps, maybe more towards the somewhat longer end?

The cool thing is that since we have three people with exact base k1a4a1 plus a shared unique stable coding region extra we could form a new k1a4a1j and then our distance 0 match and us could for a new sub-sub-branch k1a4a1j1! I hope they other two will submit to the proper place so we can get a new branch defined for us!
if they manage their own mtdna and not a relative's then they can submit to genbank with no problem