X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • briancowings
    • Aug 2008

PF vs AncestryDNA

I received my Ancestry results and they are more refined than PF.

On PF I have about 96% Orcadian and 4% ME. Ancestry gives
    61% British
    27% Scandinavian
    12% Eastern Europe

How are Ancestry able to split the Orcadian?

Thanks
  • Yaffa
    • May 2007

I dont know anything about their test but Ancestry has access to SMGF data base

Comment

• mkdexter
      FTDNA Customer
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by briancowings View Post
      I received my Ancestry results and they are more refined than PF.

On PF I have about 96% Orcadian and 4% ME. Ancestry gives
      61% British
      27% Scandinavian
      12% Eastern Europe

How are Ancestry able to split the Orcadian?

Thanks
      The same way that Dr McDonald can split it into Irish and British. It is based upon the samples used in the PCA calculations. Since PF only uses Orcadian as its principle British, Irish, Scottish, etc. sample comparison then that is all that will show up for those populations.

McDonald uses more samples and apparently so does Ancestry.

Matt.

Comment

• briancowings
        • Aug 2008

Thanks Matt

Do you know if FTDNA plans to split the Orcadian as a principle group as Ancestry have or not?

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
        The same way that Dr McDonald can split it into Irish and British. It is based upon the samples used in the PCA calculations. Since PF only uses Orcadian as its principle British, Irish, Scottish, etc. sample comparison then that is all that will show up for those populations.

McDonald uses more samples and apparently so does Ancestry.

Matt.

Comment

• mkdexter
          FTDNA Customer
          • Dec 2009

FTDNA wants to add more sample groups and I know German was one of interest, which right now shows up as Orcadian. I don't have a list of any additional samples.

Matt.

Comment

• mkdexter
            FTDNA Customer
            • Dec 2009

I did find out that FTDNA will not have a new PF version out for some time yet as in not for months. It will have more samples however no information is going to be released about any of it until its out.

Matt.
            Last edited by mkdexter; 25 June 2012, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• B52
              FTDNA Customer
              • Aug 2003

coupons

Hey,

I would like to know whether coupons and sales for PF from FTDNA also apply to those of us wanting to upgrade?

So is a $100 coupon going to let me get PF for $99?

Comment

• mkdexter
                FTDNA Customer
                • Dec 2009

Population Finder (PF) is a component of the Family Finder test. Any time you order a Family Finder test you will get the PF part of it included.

This includes 23andMe transfers to Family Finder, or the $289 Family Finder lab test, or any special offers for the Family Finder lab test. The last special offer for the Family Finder test expired on 6/10/12. I don't know about any other offers such as a $100 or $99 coupon.

Matt.
                Last edited by mkdexter; 26 June 2012, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• B52
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                  Population Finder (PF) is a component of the Family Finder test. Any time you order a Family Finder test you will get the PF part of it included.

This includes 23andMe transfers to Family Finder, or the $289 Family Finder lab test, or any special offers for the Family Finder lab test. The last special offer for the Family Finder test expired on 6/10/12. I don't know about any other offers such as a $100 or $99 coupon.

Matt.
                  I was refering to the information in the link in your signature:

Finding Family DNA is an exciting new talk show series featuring Chris Schauble from LA Morning News and Jay Rosenzweig, the Founder/CEO of Birthparentfinder.com. The show explores stories of people searching for their family through DNA testing. Viewers will learn about the fascinating journey of connecting with long-lost relatives using modern technology. Tune in to witness heartwarming reunions and the power of genetic discovery. Enjoy this inspiring and informative series on finding family through DNA. New episodes drop every Wednesday morning beginning May 1st.

It says $289 for Family Finder with a $199 upgrade price.

Since I know FTDNA regularly gives out coupons/discounts I was wondering if these are allow ...

...nevermind I logged in and they don't offer a discount for Family Finder tests. I'd have to pay the full price. A ludicrous $289.

I saw somewhere in their site the are offering full sequencing for less than $900. That's obviously the best deal but I wonder if it includes, as a matter of policy, the 111 Y-DNA, the full mtDNA, and the Family Finder analysis or whether it just a sequence and no analysis done afterwards?

Comment

• PDHOTLEN
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Feb 2006

I already knew what different European populations my ancestors came from, for the most part. And the PF is too generalized. The only thing that has recently surprised me was a genetic connection with Bohemia, which I assume was via my Austrian maternal grandfather. But I didn't find that out from Population Finder.

Comment

• mkdexter
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by B52 View Post
                      ...nevermind I logged in and they don't offer a discount for Family Finder tests. I'd have to pay the full price. A ludicrous $289.
                      It's not ludicrous. Bet you couldn't come up with all of the equipment, resources and storage needed and then offer the test that cheap.

That was an April sale announcement. Its over with now.

Comment

• B52
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
                        I already knew what different European populations my ancestors came from, for the most part. And the PF is too generalized. The only thing that has recently surprised me was a genetic connection with Bohemia, which I assume was via my Austrian maternal grandfather. But I didn't find that out from Population Finder.
                        I know mine too as I have build a tree exceeding 2000 people now. It's an OK hobby and want to watch it to see if they can ever make a believable reconstruction of the various migrations and cultural evolutions that populated Europe and the rest of the world.

Ideally the best summary would be a layered 'playable' map with genetic distributions, geographic boundaries, language boundaries, farming boundaries, botanical boundaries, animal boundaries, political boundaries, and urbanization. The map would start in the Rift Valley some time back and evolve to the present as a movie. Almost like watching a satellite weather report.

I think it's getting better for the PF but you have to watch your sources if you want to read anything else about 'evolution of cultures' and such and make sure they have an .edu domain. Even then, alot of professors have an agenda when they conduct research. If you don't go to a .edu domain you are liable (no you will) run into a bunch of pages with an agenda.

I agree the PF needs to do alot more sampling of folks that have resided in the same region (even though the borders change alot) and find unique markers to make $289 worth it.

That's why I'm thinking I'll just do a complete sequence if FTDNA continues to apply future follow up analysis as it is refined. I sent an mail to FTDNA asking about this. I'll post back to this thread when they answer.

Comment

Working...
                        X