• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1951KS
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2017

mtFullSequence

I have ordered a mtFullSequence test for both my mother and aunt. Do I also need to order a Family Finder for both of them. Would like to know the percentage of nationalities. Not sure if I will get it with the test I have ordered. If anyone on here has ordered the mtFullSequence test can tell me if that will get me these percentages I would appreciate it.
  • MMaddi
    yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e
    • Jul 2005

Any mtDNA test will only give you the haplogroup and matches. The full sequence, compared to the basic mtDNA test, will give you a more specific subclade of the haplogroup and non-exact matches, with up to 3 differences at tested locations, while the basic test will only show exact matches.

However, both the full sequence and basic mtDNA test only relate to your strict maternal line - mother, maternal grandmother, maternal grandmother's mother, etc. Even at the level of gg-grandparents, that represents only 1 of the 16 ancestors in that generation. Neither mtDNA test will give you an estimate of ethnic/geographic ancestry. There has been too much migration over thousands of years since haplogroups formed, so merely knowing your haplogroup and even subclade in most cases won't pin down specific ethnic ancestry.

If you want to get an estimate of ethnic/geographic ancestry, you'll have to order Family Finder. One of the features of Family Finder, called myOrigins, does give you an estimate of ethnic/geographic ancestry. Since it's an autosomal test and involves DNA from both parents and all their lines, the matches and myOrigins percentages relate to all lines in your tree taken together, not just one specific line, as is the case with mtDNA test results.
    Last edited by MMaddi; 26 February 2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• wombat
      FTDNA Customer
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by 1951KS View Post
      I have ordered a mtFullSequence test for both my mother and aunt. Do I also need to order a Family Finder for both of them. Would like to know the percentage of nationalities. Not sure if I will get it with the test I have ordered. If anyone on here has ordered the mtFullSequence test can tell me if that will get me these percentages I would appreciate it.
      Ah, I think you ordered the wrong tests. Maybe it's not too late to cancel?

FF is the one that gives regional ancestry. Full mtDNA might give some hints to where you strictly maternal line (mother's mother's mother's mother's etc. line) came from wayyyy back when and maybe a few hints as to a bit more recent times. But the one that shows the maps with all the regions and stuff is the FF test.

Also, if you aunt is on your mom's side you don't likely need two mtDNA tests, they will extremely likely both have the exact same results.

Their FF results could be slightly different though in terms of ancestry and matching.

You could get by with just a FF and full mtDNA for your mom alone. If you were to add a second test it would make more sense to add a FF for your aunt not an mtDNA for her (which will almost certainly be 100.000% the same as your mom's).

Of course if your aunt is on your dad's side then a full mtDNA and a FF for both would be good.

If you don't care about mtDNA matching or a 100% exact results to the deepest level and don't care about relative matching and only want to know ancestry regions and some haplogroup info and how that traced a better thing would have been Geno 2.0 NG for $149 where you get the map plus the haplogroup and they have a more interesting and detailed presentation of the mtDNA haplogroup information (although the result in terms of extra mutations and exact full tracked level is not as complete as the full mtDNA test).
      Last edited by wombat; 2 March 2017, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• ltd-jean-pull
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jun 2016

I don't want to jump to conclusions. Are your mother and aunt full sisters, or if not full sisters have the same mother or maternal grandmother?

Comment

Working...
        X