Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 3rd March 2018, 05:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

This is a question I have raised myself, having great-grandparents from southern Italy & Sicily... and according to FTDNA's MyOrigins 2.0 test about 1/3 Iberian origin DNA.

I was so surprised I doubted maybe they had looked at the wrong FamilyFinder sample, spent $19 transferring autosomal raw data from 23&Me to FTDNA and...overall mostly same MyOrigins results, about 1/3 DNA from Iberia, with part of that Sephardic Jewish Iberian.

29-34% Iberian:
19-21% Iberian European
10-13% Sephardic Iberian

Spanish did rule Southern Italy + Sicily for ~400 years (with some wars/uprisings interrupting) until Garibaldi conquered Spanish Bourbon Two Sicilies kingdom, also ruled Sardinia & Milan at some points.

I was dubious as there's no record of mass colonization of Italy by Iberians even if Aragonese/Spanish territory.

But royals, nobles, officials, merchants/traders, etc. of Iberian origin and certainly armies of Iberian origin were stationed in or passed through much of Italy at different points in time... marauding soldiers always leave their genetic mark.

When talking about tiny Italian villages, it wouldn't take too many Spanish troops or traders or migrants or whatever to leave a genetic imprint, with some Italian families perhaps randomly having Iberian ancestors but not other seemingly similar families from the same parts of Italy.
Old 4th March 2018, 10:34 AM
FTDNA Customer

Almost every DNA company provides a plot chart of their populations, showing how genetically close or distant populations. All of them show how Italy and Spain/Iberia are genetically similar. I've attached FTDNA's chart - the closer the dots are to one another, the more genetically similar they are. As you can see, Spain and Italy are grouped right next to one another and have some overlap. Whenever there is genetic similarly or shared DNA between two groups, it's not unusual for a native or descendant of one to get results in the other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FTDNAoverlapchart.jpg (61.4 KB, 9 views)