Reasonably successful, I am optimistic....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dello
    FTDNA Customer
    • Oct 2011

Reasonably successful, I am optimistic....

Hi Everyone, I have been researching for ages, the ancestors for my late husband, who was adopted, ( via our Son ) we both tested with three company's, to give us the best chance..... on the Y chromosome, my Son tested to Y111, got 8 matches ranging from 4 markers to 10 the first three names McVey, McEvoy, and McAvoy...... on the FF front, he has five cousins 3rd and 4th who all have the same common Ancestor of McEvoy in their trees??!!!!
    That is not to say McEvoy is the name of my late husbands Father, I have been told it will probably be a McGuinness, they just have not tested out that far is all ?!!!!! My English side easy can get back to 1600's on some parts of the family, it is my Sons Irish side has /is a bit more 'tricky' ?!!!! All the best to everyone, keep researching, I am a strong advocate of dna testing.
  • rmm0484
    FTDNA Customer
    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by dello View Post
    Hi Everyone, I have been researching for ages, the ancestors for my late husband, who was adopted, ( via our Son ) we both tested with three company's, to give us the best chance..... on the Y chromosome, my Son tested to Y111, got 8 matches ranging from 4 markers to 10 the first three names McVey, McEvoy, and McAvoy...... on the FF front, he has five cousins 3rd and 4th who all have the same common Ancestor of McEvoy in their trees??!!!!
    That is not to say McEvoy is the name of my late husbands Father, I have been told it will probably be a McGuinness, they just have not tested out that far is all ?!!!!! My English side easy can get back to 1600's on some parts of the family, it is my Sons Irish side has /is a bit more 'tricky' ?!!!! All the best to everyone, keep researching, I am a strong advocate of dna testing.
    It sounds as though your husband is a descendent of someone named McGuinness (who was actually a Mc -*V** something genetically due to an NPE way back)....

Comment

• dello
      FTDNA Customer
      • Oct 2011

Yes thats right, but if I can get my husbands Maternal side, I will be happy, and I am almost their, I am awaiting another Ireland test result as we speak, hope to prove we have the right family.........

Comment

• dello
        FTDNA Customer
        • Oct 2011

2nd Cousin elated, but have a query ?

Hi everyone, I am extremely elated because my Son has a 2nd Cousin YAY, after years of research, now we already have two people that are in common with the 2nd cousin to a lesser degree (being abt 2nd cousin once removed, and 3rd cousin status to my Son ) now recently a very kind gentleman tested for us we thought was connected to my Son's Irish family, and yet NO dna showed up ?!!!!!!! BUT the 2nd Cousin my Son has now also is 2nd cousin to that 'kind gentleman' they 'my son and he' share 305 cM's over 13 segments ?!!!!! identical measurement's although ancestry do not have 'the gentleman' ICW anyone else ?!!!! Any expert opinions would be truly welcome. Thank you in advance, we are getting there.

Comment

• MMaddi
          yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e
          • Jul 2005

identical measurement's although ancestry do not have 'the gentleman' ICW anyone else ?!!!! Any expert opinions would be truly welcome. Thank you in advance, we are getting there.
          My understanding of how "shared matches" works at AncestryDNA is that the shared match must be an estimated 4th-6th cousin (by shared DNA, not paper trail) to both of the two people he matches. In other words, if two people share the same person as a match, but he's an estimated 4th-6th cousin to one and an estimated 5th-8th cousin to the other, he will not be shown as a "shared match" to the two others.

Is it possible in your situation that the person you expect to be a shared match is an estimated 5th-8th cousin to one of the two you expect to share him as a match? It could be the case that he doesn't share enough DNA for the expected 4th-6th cousin estimate and AncestryDNA has him as an estimated 5th-8th cousin, even though he's closer. I and others have noted that since they recalculated their estimates for relationships earlier this year, they seem to be more conservative in their estimates. I have a paper trail proven 2nd cousin who was downgraded to 3rd cousin after AncestryDNA did their recalculations.
          Last edited by MMaddi; 15 October 2016, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• dello
            FTDNA Customer
            • Oct 2011

Identical Measurements

Thank you MMaddi for your reply, the thing is I just cannot get my head around the fact, that the person that tested for us, who we thought was related, turned out to not share any DNA with my Son, then yesterday a 2ND COUSIN showed up to both of them with exactly the same predicted 2nd cousin prediction AND the same measurements ........ how can that be if they are not from the same family ?!!!! I keep going back and looking at the kits on Ancestry, and thinking whatever is going on?!

Comment

• mkdexter
              FTDNA Customer
              • Dec 2009

Yes, any person found in a DISTANT COUSIN category of Ancestry to another person won't be a shared match between multiple people, only one on one comparison. It is not that they don't share between multiple people (say like a 3 way match), it is that Ancestry does not track them and won't show them as shared matches.
              Last edited by mkdexter; 17 October 2016, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• dello
                FTDNA Customer
                • Oct 2011

Another query?

Thank you to all my helpful genealogy friends on this forum, this it to do with this thread, it began to make sense to me that a lot of the same family names were popping up that were 'autosomal ' so had a look at the Y list of names again, I could see two surnames the same at 67 and 111, first is 6 away the 111 is 7 away, the second person I contacted did not answer, but the first is a 90 year old gentleman, who's Daughter contacted me, and that is looking like I have struck gold at last, my question for you all who are more expert than me, do's anyone know how far away 6 is from 67?!!!!! by my reckoning, my understanding is about 25 generations =600 years?!!!!!
                Very recently my Son has a 2nd cousin that descends from a lady with the same surname. Thank you all for your help, soon as I have really solved it I will be in touch, this dna really do's work

Comment

• MMaddi
                  yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e
                  • Jul 2005

my question for you all who are more expert than me, do's anyone know how far away 6 is from 67?!!!!! by my reckoning, my understanding is about 25 generations =600 years?!!!!!
                  The cutoff for matches at 67 markers is 7 mismatches or, put another way, 60/67. All matches at that level or closer have some chance of representing a common ancestor within the last 500 years or so. Obviously, matches closer than 60/67 have a greater chance of representing a more recent common ancestor.

Remember that these mismatches are based on a random occurrence of mutations in both lines, with an average mutation rate. I would say that your case of a 60/67 match is most likely to represent a common ancestor who lived more than 300 years ago. Of course, the paternal line involved may have a higher than average mutation rate, so the common ancestor could have been more recent than 300 years ago, but not likely.

My rule of thumb is that significant matches for breaking down a brick wall generally are from 63/67 or 64/67 matches or closer. The probability that they represent a common ancestor more recent than 300 years ago is much higher than your case of 60/67.

Comment

• dello
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Oct 2011

Thank you so much, that is heartening, my Son has a rare DYS 391, so we are always 2 points out no matter who tests, I suppose you could say if someone tested a perfect first twelve, we would have 'cracked it ' no one seems to know what caused that, FTDNA retested and it still stood,I got my son to test again just in case, so his is the only first twelve. No matter what list I look at mostly all men are a 10 for that one, occasionally you can get an 11, but my Son has an 8

Comment

• dna
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Aug 2014

Thank you so much, that is heartening, my Son has a rare DYS 391, so we are always 2 points out no matter who tests, I suppose you could say if someone tested a perfect first twelve, we would have 'cracked it ' no one seems to know what caused that, FTDNA retested and it still stood,I got my son to test again just in case, so his is the only first twelve. No matter what list I look at mostly all men are a 10 for that one, occasionally you can get an 11, but my Son has an 8
                      You might be well served by SNP testing.

From time to time, Big Y test is on sale at up to $100 less.

Mr W

Comment

• dello
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Oct 2011

Thank you, I will keep a look out, no one has suggested that before

Comment

• dello
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Oct 2011

Nearly there?!

Hi Everyone, This is an update of my threads, 'when I was reasonably optimistic ' then we had a 2nd cousin for my Son (they shared the same Great Grandfather ) autosomal results, We now have just tested the Great Grandson of this same gentleman with a Y test , we are feeling VERY positive, its been a long uphill journey but well worth it, the wonders of DNA are amazing.

Comment

Working...
                          X