Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 7th February 2018, 06:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

Using Chromosome Browser - Am I on the right track?

I'm trying to use the Chromosome Browser to find matches that are related to me through my French great great grandfather.

I am a New Mexico Hispano, and all of my family lines (except for this great great grandfather) go back to Spanish colonial New Mexico. When I find a match that doesn't have an old New Mexico surname, I try to look at their profile to find out more about them (I wish they all had family trees attached to them).

Recently, I got a non-New Mexico related match, and it had a family tree! I used the 'In Common With Feature' and I found that this match and I had only 23 matches in common (out of my 3200+ matches)! I entered the 23 matches into the Chromosome Browser and found that 21 matched in the same area of chromosome 4. They all stacked up one on top of the other. The range of shared Centimorgans of these matches is between 20 and 34, and the longest block range is between 8 and 14.

My great great grandfather was Morel by surname, and I've read that the Morels were Normans that helped invade England during the Battle of Hastings. All of these matches that matched on chromosome 4 (the ones with family trees attached, anyway) have British and Irish ancestry. So, I'm thinking that we are matches because we share Morel ancestry. I don't know why else we would match. Am I on the right track here?
Old 7th February 2018, 06:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Cool

Yeah, triangulations show cousins, but rarely show a common ancestor. I have gotten an occasional New Mexico, Texas, and even Old Mexico match with Spanish surname. But who was the most recent cannon ancestor? Probably one or more "Anglo" uncles of mine or other.
Old 8th February 2018, 12:33 AM
FTDNA Customer

You have to be careful when you see dozens of people matching you in the same small part of a chromosome.
What you have described is known as a pileup. This means that the relationship is identical by population (IBP) and not identical by descent (IBD).
This means the DNA is from 10 or more generations ago and almost impossible to assign to a particular distant ancestor. Saying it is Norman DNA might well be correct.

I'm 25% Irish, 25% Danish and 50% Polish and I have multiple Irish pileup areas. No Danish or Polish pileups.

If you put your raw DNA data at GEDmatch you should see an even bigger pileup in the GEDmatch chromosome browser.
Old 8th February 2018, 11:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you for explaining 'pile up' to me. Looking at the family trees of these matches, I could only find one tree that showed a relationship with the original match (or any other match): I found the grandson of the origin match.