Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Group Administrators - Advanced Chat

Group Administrators - Advanced Chat Discussion forum for Project Group Administrators. Exchange experiences, ideas and interpretation of results.

Old 28th April 2018, 11:43 AM
FTDNA Customer

Project Profile Options

When setting up the Project Profile there is an option to show member list. Mine is set to show to no one. Does anyone choose to show to project members? I have around 200 members of the project that I took over. Would people be upset if I chose that option?
Old 28th April 2018, 01:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

Upset? It depends.

However, Everyone (public) means that the search engines would harvest it immediately.

With 200 members it appears that not everybody is a close family member, so the setting Group Members might be unexpected to many. That is sharing one's data with a cousin is different from sharing data with a stranger that might happen to have the same surname or somewhat similar haplotype (with the common ancestry many thousands of years ago...).

Mr. W.

P.S.
FTDNA might remove that feature on Friday, the 25th of May 2018. I would wait until June for FTDNA guidelines about usage of that feature.
Old 30th April 2018, 10:12 AM
mtdna X2d, ydna I-M253

name of members public

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHolt-Galvin View Post
When setting up the Project Profile there is an option to show member list. Mine is set to show to no one. Does anyone choose to show to project members? I have around 200 members of the project that I took over. Would people be upset if I chose that option?
I have chosen to only display most distant ancestor with the kit number on ydna results which are public. This protects the name of the tester to the general public. I have not seen any project who displays the member names to the public on the yResults.
I opted to remove the member name and contact email from our public Pedigrees page. If someone wants more information on a line they see on the page, contact is made thru me or my co administrator to the member. When FTDNA gives us more guidelines on how to manage our projects after 25 May 2018, I will evaluate my actions at that time.
Old 30th April 2018, 11:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

I have been thinking I should remove the email address from the Patriarchs page as well. I converted the project to myGroups so people can make contact with others via the activity feed. I noticed the option to show members to other members and wasn't sure how that worked. That is why I asked here if anyone had chosen that selection.