H-T195C!-T146C!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-T195C!-T146C!

Does anyone else have this hg designation? I have no matches at any level.
  • GST
    FTDNA Customer
    • Oct 2005

I would ignore "T195C!-T146C!", as these are fairly common back mutations that occur independently in many different subclades, and they are not very useful for defining H subclades. Mannis includes these as paragroups in Phylotree, so FTDNA has adopted these in their subclade names. However, this practice adds no value and confuses people, so several of the mtDNA project admins have recommend that common mutations not be used in FTDNA subclade names.

It would be more accurate to simply identify your resuls as H, or my preference, H* which indicates you are in H and have extra mutations, but you are not part of any named subclade of H.

Comment

• Mylineage
      • Nov 2012

Interesting

I am V19 haplogroup on my maternal side. The Basques are also in V haplogroup.

Comment

• barfrench
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jun 2016

I am!

Originally posted by Matias View Post
        Does anyone else have this hg designation? I have no matches at any level.
        So, I am H-T195C! as well!!! I'm not sure what that means!!! What does your family tree look like? I live in Canada!!!

Comment

• RachKB
          FTDNA Customer
          • Feb 2017

H-T195C

me too, no matches, no explanation.. feeling frustrated

Comment

• mouseinhouse
            FTDNA Customer
            • May 2016

Matias, RachKB, & barfrench ... I hope you will or already have joined both of the two mt-haplogroup projects at ftDNA that are devoted to people with mtDNA results like yours.

That is where haplogroup research is conducted, and where people specifically interested in your mt-haplogroup will be found having discussions. Please be sure to review your privacy settings so that your results can be included in the research, as described here.

Even though you are assigned by ftDNA as H-T195C! or H-T195C!-T146C!, you almost certainly have other "extra" mutations that are significant for defining what will eventually be identified as your mt-haplogroup. As GST pointed out, the mutations T195C! & T146C! are very common, and by themselves don't reliably pick out a haplogroup.

The mitochondrial haplogroup H is unusual compared to other haplogroups for having a star-like expansion, with over 100 branches defined so far. The cause goes back to the last ice age, when the ice finally receded and humans living along the Mediterranean Sea and in the Middle East migrated into the vast, previously almost unoccupied land of Europe. A lot of branches from the H population got to expand at the same time, instead of competing with each other for survival, and many dozens of those H branches are still around today.

There are a few branches of Hg H that are most common (e.g. H1 & H3), but also many each represented by a fairly small population. Given that the set of people who get mtDNA tested is just a small slice of the total population, it's not unusual for members of those small H populations to find they are the only person here at ftDNA representing their not-yet-officially-recognized haplogroup H branch. So please join the research projects, establish your presence, and help be pioneers for the others from your haplogroup who haven't yet revealed themselves.

-- Eric

Comment

Working...
            X