Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Group Administrators - New and Begining Admins

Old 3rd October 2017, 06:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

I have no idea what may have happened to have caused them to make this change. However, I do remember finding out that if an admin were to use one of those links, they could access activity feeds for projects that have that feed for members only. So I guess admins could access posts meant only for members. Therefore it had nothing to do with the member only results as that did not change as you state.
Old 3rd October 2017, 06:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Contemplator View Post
I have no idea what may have happened to have caused them to make this change. However, I do remember finding out that if an admin were to use one of those links, they could access activity feeds for projects that have that feed for members only. So I guess admins could access posts meant only for members. Therefore it had nothing to do with the member only results as that did not change as you state.
My mother's kit is in the Sicily Project (as is mine), and those admins restricted access. So even though both my mother and I are members, I couldn't access activity feeds when I was logged in as GAP.
Old 3rd October 2017, 06:52 PM
FTDNA Customer

At the least, FTDNA should have notified all admins of this change, and the reason(s) why.
Old 4th October 2017, 07:24 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
Can you elaborate without mentioning admins' or projects' names?
I don't have any additional information. This is a trend we have been seeing for many years at FTDNA. Admins make improper use of information FTDNA makes available to us so FTDNA has to take that information away.

It just take a few bad apples.
Old 4th October 2017, 10:18 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks, but vague references to hear-say aren't sufficient to explain what has happened. Anyone in a project - member or admin - can wrongfully use data. People have to understand that unless they want to keep their data completely private, and therefore lose the benefit of comparing and matching to others, they will have to accept the risks associated with DNA testing and making their results available to others.
Old 5th October 2017, 07:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
Thanks, but vague references to hear-say aren't sufficient to explain what has happened.
When I get an answer from a trusted member of the FTDNA staff I don't consider that a "vague reference" or "hear-say". I don't need to know the name(s) of the offender(s) nor the names of the project(s) involved.

If you do then I suggest you contact Mr. Greenspan directly and demand he provide you with the information you require.
Old 5th October 2017, 12:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

If you had stated that you received the information from FTDNA (like I did), then I wouldn't have responded like that. Likewise, I asked "Can you elaborate without mentioning admins' or projects' names?" because I have no need for names. I'll save my e-mails to Bennett for more important concerns like the problems with MOv2 that I continue to apologize for to family and friends.