Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 1st March 2018, 10:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

which generally means I am either R1a Z282>Z280> CTS1211>YP1034 or an elf.

Is it possible to somehow look up what that groups are and who belongs to them?
Old 3rd March 2018, 02:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Waste of time...

I am sorry to have to say this, but this is an idiotic base for this thread, not to say the responders are faulty, just to say this is another big waste of everyone's time.

Physical characteristics are only approaching a "racial" basis at the genomic level where there are indicators of coming from an ancient location associated with what ethnologists note as "race" distinctions, but atDNA is a recombination, and the female autosomal is predicted by Blaine Bettinger to recombine with, shall we say, gusto, giving all of the relationship and cM values a wide curve. The amount of shared chromosomes identifies the relationship, not the contents of the chromosomes. The contents are recombined, and the body type is determined by the contents.

Basing anything on physical characteristics might or might not be offensively racial, but it simply shows complete ignorance of how genetic inheritances, dominant and recessive genes, and homozygosity affect autosomal (or "body type") DNA.

Last edited by clintonslayton76; 3rd March 2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 3rd March 2018, 03:28 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Have you done the Family Finder test? If so, what do your matches seem to be there? If your parents are living, do Family Finder tests on them too. If both of your parents do Family Finder, you don't have to?

What does a German person look like? I've known a few and they all looked very different. One was quite dark, but he didn't look like he was Indian to me.
Old 3rd March 2018, 07:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
Have you done the Family Finder test? If so, what do your matches seem to be there? If your parents are living, do Family Finder tests on them too. If both of your parents do Family Finder, you don't have to?
Do strongly second the idea to do the Family Finder Test

Only minor quibble I have with above is -- if there is any doubt as to whether you are the biological child of both parents, then suggest do Family Finder Test yourself, even if both parents also test. [and be aware - that will definitively answer that question if you and both parents test]

Last edited by loobster; 3rd March 2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 4th March 2018, 03:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Loobster and Moberly

This was answered explicitly in response to other postings by Jarl (jotunn) asking about the possibility of a father-daughter incest. These are on this same forum.

Testing both parents and children was pointed out as the applicable test, and links were provided by me and spruithean (sp?) to articles about the potential odd shares (out of normal range) for cM with incest situations. It was also pointed out that the ranges of cM presented as words like parent and child are the result of algorithms, and it requires genealogical research in tandem with genetics, not genetics alone, to interpret those. If one cannot obtain both parents atDNA when an aberration is suspected, phasing might not be meaningful. All of this has already been answered.

We are being asked to by some of his postings to mull over the same questions in different forms where only hints are provided as to whether any of these values have been tested, and as Sherlock Holmes (Doyle) correctly observed: "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

I have learned to recognize when I am being asked to do that , and as stated, it is a waste of time.

Last edited by clintonslayton76; 4th March 2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: bolding and italicizing, spell check
Old 17th April 2018, 09:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

My dad is in the same haplogroup as your self, R-M198. We are Pakistani but it looks like you and my dad aren't matched with each other. hmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jötunn View Post
My father was really dark for Europe (darker than Arabs, from the face and color I would guess South India, because people there really look similar)

From the look of my Y-DNA matches, there are absolutely 0 matches in south India, just a few on the border around Pakistan. And, most of my matches are in Norway and Sweden, while absolutely 0 in Danmark or Finland.

This means that my father either took his Indian appearance from women, or he was not my father.

From what my mother said, she never betrayed my father. But she keeps saying that even now and there are many proofs of romance............... and my mother looked quite Polish or German, while I look completely Scandinavian - so Scandinavian, so I look alien and "Scandinavian" to Poles, where Poland is mostly composed of Scandinavian genes.

What´s even more interesting there is 1 (just 1!) match in Iceland - the country that increased its population 100 times over the last few centuries, with no immigration. And, one match with some native American in Canada.

And even more - people in Poland tell I look Norwegian, people in Norway tell I look British, and people in Iceland tell I look... really Icelandic!?

Damn it, does it really have to be so uncertain? If 100 year difference between father´s and son´s birth on paper was not enough...

In the "Ancestral Origins" table, most %s go to the places where I have only 1 match, but it gives like 0.8% due to not many samples.

I have a 2.6% with Afganistan on 12-marker GD1 level. The rest is below 1%. With the way my father look I could say he was Asian... but no paper trails lead there.

Instead, they lead to at least two royal houses. Royal houses mean schemes and plots, which would explain all the uncertainties. But if there was a forged relationship between Scandinavian kings and some Asian individual... well, my father would not claim to have Turkish origins and instead would be proud of his royal bloodline.

Just wondering, is there any chance of pushing it forward? Is it possible to find any closer matches with Big Y, if I had 0 matches on Y-37 or any higher level? I believe it means I differ a lot from everyone else in the database, but people are still suggesting to get Big Y. So, I guess the only chance it can work is if miraculously I got mutations in the markers tested by Y-111 and almost nowhere else, am I right?

They say my predicted haplogroup is R-M198, but I doubt it is any close to the truth - more like my haplogroup is very exotic and has not been discovered yet.