Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Basics This is an area for those who are new to DNA testing for genealogy can ask about Y-DNA STR based tests and their test results. All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 23rd June 2014, 12:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Smile Y-DNA 111 test - no matches?

Hello all,

Newbie here and trying to understand my results for the first time. I'm adopted and searching for anything re my past. I relative would be great, but even a surname from long ago would be nice. To that end, people in adoption forums recommended the Y-DNA test at the highest level I could afford. So I ordered the Y-DNA 111 marker test.

Results are in and I have no matches at 25 and up. At the 12 marker level I have 700+ matches of which 53 are exact (0). Within the exacts it appears a good chunk of the surnames are Irish (which makes sense from what I've learned so far).

Can I learn anything from my results? Are any of these surnames also my likely Paternal line? How can I find out? Or are the 12 marker tests too distant to learn anything as an adoptee? Is there a way to find out what marker/SNP is causing me to be so unique?

Also, I am in group M417. But I thought I'd learn more than this, especially at the Y-DNA 111 level (the price is crazy!). I already learned this much from 23andme. Do I have to order additional SNP testing to identify more? If so, how do I know which ones to order (without wasting even more money that I already did on the Y-DNA 111 test which ultimately proved a waste? FTDNA offers many options.

I truly appreciate any help and guidance you can offer. And please, I'm a newbie so please remember I don't know many acronyms and prefer laymans terms when explaining if possible.

Thanks so much!
Shane
Old 23rd June 2014, 05:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicMe View Post
Hello all,

Newbie here and trying to understand my results for the first time. I'm adopted and searching for anything re my past. I relative would be great, but even a surname from long ago would be nice. To that end, people in adoption forums recommended the Y-DNA test at the highest level I could afford. So I ordered the Y-DNA 111 marker test.

Results are in and I have no matches at 25 and up. At the 12 marker level I have 700+ matches of which 53 are exact (0). Within the exacts it appears a good chunk of the surnames are Irish (which makes sense from what I've learned so far).

Can I learn anything from my results? Are any of these surnames also my likely Paternal line? How can I find out? Or are the 12 marker tests too distant to learn anything as an adoptee? Is there a way to find out what marker/SNP is causing me to be so unique?
Under the "old" classification system you belong to Haplogroup R1a1a1.

First things first I would recommend that you join The R1a1a Project Group at FTDNA (if you haven't already) https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1a/

M417 is still a very general classification, so you will need to determine a refined classification of which sub-group of M417 that you belong to.

I recommend that you copy the STR values for y-DNA and put them into this predictor: http://predictor.ydna.ru/

This will hopefully give you a percentage match with a particular sub-group of M417. Let us know the results

The R1a1a group page has a results section that has classified where these sub-groups have been found, and possible associations with cultures/peoples in history https://www.familytreedna.com/public...ection=results

Quote:
Also, I am in group M417. But I thought I'd learn more than this, especially at the Y-DNA 111 level (the price is crazy!). I already learned this much from 23andme. Do I have to order additional SNP testing to identify more? If so, how do I know which ones to order (without wasting even more money that I already did on the Y-DNA 111 test which ultimately proved a waste? FTDNA offers many options.

I truly appreciate any help and guidance you can offer. And please, I'm a newbie so please remember I don't know many acronyms and prefer laymans terms when explaining if possible.

Thanks so much!
Shane
There are a few reasons why you may not have matches at 111 markers. Peole belonging to your sub-group of M417 may not have tested to this level yet, or there may be no one in the FTDNA database at present that has the same M417 lineage as you.

I hope this information helps as a start, and hopefully narrows down where your paternal line is from.

Arran

Last edited by N21163; 23rd June 2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 23rd June 2014, 07:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N21163 View Post
Under the "old" classification system you belong to Haplogroup R1a1a1.

First things first I would recommend that you join The R1a1a Project Group at FTDNA (if you haven't already) https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1a/

M417 is still a very general classification, so you will need to determine a refined classification of which sub-group of M417 that you belong to.

I recommend that you copy the STR values for y-DNA and put them into this predictor: http://predictor.ydna.ru/

This will hopefully give you a percentage match with a particular sub-group of M417. Let us know the results

The R1a1a group page has a results section that has classified where these sub-groups have been found, and possible associations with cultures/peoples in history https://www.familytreedna.com/public...ection=results
Arran
Thanks Arran! Assuming I copied and pasted the STR values correctly into the predictor here are my results:

N Haplogroup Probability
1 R1a1a1*-Unclustered-M417*(xM458,L365) 99%

Would it be wise to pay $39 each to test those 2 SNPs (M458 and L365)? I assume this would 'verify' the prediction if I did this, correct?

Last edited by NomadicMe; 23rd June 2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 23rd June 2014, 09:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Like me, just park yourself in left field and wait for a fly ball to land in your glove... FMS mt-DNA is about the same.

Family Finder is a great investment, though.
Old 23rd June 2014, 09:42 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Thanks Arran! Assuming I copied and pasted the STR values correctly into the predictor here are my results:

N Haplogroup Probability
1 R1a1a1*-Unclustered-M417*(xM458,L365) 99%

Would it be wise to pay $39 each to test those 2 SNPs (M458 and L365)? I assume this would 'verify' the prediction if I did this, correct?
The notation M417*(xM458,L365) means it's predicting that you're M417+, but negative for M458 and L365. That what the x in the parentheses before M458 and L365 indicates.

If the predictor is correct, you would be wasting money to test M458 and L365. Follow the advice given to you by N21163 in his post - join the R1a1a Project Group. The project administrators are the most knowledgeable people about your haplogroup and can give you the best advice about what to do next.
Old 23rd June 2014, 09:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
The notation M417*(xM458,L365) means it's predicting that you're M417+, but negative for M458 and L365. That what the x in the parentheses before M458 and L365 indicates.

If the predictor is correct, you would be wasting money to test M458 and L365. Follow the advice given to you by N21163 in his post - join the R1a1a Project Group. The project administrators are the most knowledgeable people about your haplogroup and can give you the best advice about what to do next.
Thanks MMaddi

Arran

Last edited by N21163; 23rd June 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post

OMG, thanks! I totally read the results incorrectly. OK, I've joined that project group and will contact one of the dozen or so admins to see if they have any suggestions. Thanks guys!!
Old 20th March 2018, 06:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

Well, I finally got around to ordering the SNP Pack for R1a and now see I am M417 and then, Rz93-rz94 and then finally r-y40. Not sure what all this means and the website is now telling me to buy another pack, that of z93. Would this be helpful to me? What info can I learn from it?
Old 20th March 2018, 07:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Well, I finally got around to ordering the SNP Pack for R1a and now see I am M417 and then, Rz93-rz94 and then finally r-y40. Not sure what all this means and the website is now telling me to buy another pack, that of z93. Would this be helpful to me? What info can I learn from it?
The landscape of genetic testing has changed. If you had asked before purchasing the SNP pack, possibly you would have gotten a recommendation for Big Y testing.

You may still consider Big Y instead of another SNP pack.

And what about Family Finder? It was suggested to you (above by user hansonrf). That is definitely the test for you.

Mr. W.

Last edited by dna; 20th March 2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 20th March 2018, 07:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
The landscape of genetic testing has changed. If you had asked before purchasing the SNP pack, possibly you would have gotten a recommendation for Big Y testing.

You may still consider Big Y instead of another SNP pack.

Mr. W.
Surely I could... but Big Y is quite expensive and the add'l SNP pack, which seems like the last one I'd need, would be much more economical.