Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Group Administrators Forums > Surname Project Administration

Old 10th August 2017, 10:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question Criteria for Subsidized DNA Tests

Wondering if any project administrators have developed successful guidelines or criteria for subsidizing DNA tests on a Surname Project that they would be welling to share? For example, criteria on how to use funds donated to a surname project equitably or for the greater good of surname research. How do you decide how to use the funds?
Old 10th August 2017, 12:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

My suggestion would be to give a little more weight to a target from the origin country of the surname assuming it is international.

Tests from outside the USA tend to be more rare due to higher costs and less market penetration.
Old 12th August 2017, 08:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

The Williams Project

This info from the Williams Project is outward-facing, i.e., applicable to guidelines and process for existing and potential members, but might be worth a look: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background.

I think it's probably time well spent to write a clear and succinct explanation about a Project's general fund using the old "who, what, where, when, why, how" journalist's model. My bet is people are more likely to donate if they understand the reason for the fund and the criteria for beneficiary selection; and it probably prevents unnecessary applications and potential bad blood if expectations are properly set and a straightforward procedure to follow is described.

For the latter, if you don't have a full-featured website where you can build a questionnaire form, I've had good luck with an online service called JotForm. Very easy to use--even for creating a detailed form like a request for funding--and free for low-volume use. I'd much rather use a structured form (template) to drive specific answers/information than just email. Makes the communication more efficient, and gives you a tidy archival record of all applications.

Now, if only someone would be willing to plop a few thousand dollars into my general fund....