Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > BIG Y and SNP Discovery

BIG Y and SNP Discovery This area is for talk about BIG Y results.

Old 10th August 2017, 11:14 AM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarson View Post
My Big-Y is in batch 774. The Lab procedure is listed as HiYNGS -- is this the same as it's always been? I don't remember that on my first Big-Y test.

I've been a member of the R1B and U106 groups since the Y-111 STR results came in.

The Big Tree link confuses me. I recognize Z2 as being above S16218 but see an intermediate block of 22277095-G-A not present in FTDNA.

R1B-U106->Z30->Z27->Z345->Z2->S16218: FTDNA
R1B-U106->Z381->Z301->L48->Z9->Z30->Z2->22277095-G-A: Big-Tree

My paternal haplogroup is I-BY3095 so the Big Tree wasn't an option. I like it better than the Y-Full so far. I'll definitely submit my Big-Y results to the Big Tree when I get them. Is it still recommended to have Y-full also do an analysis of the Big-Y results like it was in the I-M223 tree?
Here's a link to the official U106 tree maintained by project co-administrator Ray Wing - https://app.box.com/s/afqsrrnvv2d51msqcz2o - which you can download as an Excel file and open in any spreadsheet program. Also, here's the link - http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~mcdonald/genetics/tree.html - to a U106 tree in graphical format by project co-administrator Iain McDonald. These two trees are the most up-to-date and accurate trees for U106. Finally, this is the link - https://www.familytreedna.com/public...frame=yresults - for the project results table, where we've grouped members according to their test results, including Big Y results. The page size is at the default 500 results/page. It works better to search for specific SNPs/subclades if you set it to 4,000 results/page.

Searching for S16218 in the results table, I find only one subclade listed - Z30>Z27>Z345>Z2>S16218>BY18931, S21301>. Of course, once the Big Y results come in for you mother's paternal side, we may see that you share singletons already found in some of the men in the Z30>Z27>Z345>Z2>S16218 group, which would create a new subclade.

As far as having your BAM file analyzed, the U106 recommends Full Genomes Corp. over YFull. Both do a competent job and charge about $50. The difference is that FGC was founded by a project member and its main analyst is another project member. They have a very good idea of the U106 tree and a larger database of U106 Big Y results for comparisons than YFull does. This helps in finding that two men share singletons found in Big Y tests, something that may be missed in the YFull's smaller database of U106 results.

If you'd like to have your relative's Big Y results included in the free analysis provided by the project administrators, we'll need the raw data zip file, which contains the VCF and BED files. These have to be uploaded to the Big Y file folder in our associated Yahoogroup. You can join the Yahoogroup by sending a request to r1b1c_u106-s21-subscribe@yahoogroups.com - please note that in order to have access to the group files section, you must join using a Yahoo ID. If you'd like, you can download the raw data file and send it to me or Ray Wing and we'll upload it to the Big Y file folder.
Old 27th September 2017, 05:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

I know I'm just learning but...

I went ahead and ordered the Big Y for my dad shortly after he passed away with the thought that I should go for the biggest bang for the buck when there might not be enough DNA left later.

But now my question is, IF there is a split or a realignment of the tree, all of the untested snps could toss him into a new haplogroup and there may not be enough dna left for testing.
Old 28th September 2017, 05:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheal View Post
I went ahead and ordered the Big Y for my dad shortly after he passed away with the thought that I should go for the biggest bang for the buck when there might not be enough DNA left later.

But now my question is, IF there is a split or a realignment of the tree, all of the untested snps could toss him into a new haplogroup and there may not be enough dna left for testing.
With the BigY test your father's novel variants will be discovered. If a split or realignment of the tree occurs later due to others completing BigY the SNPs will already be identified and his position on the tree will be adjusted. It is possible additional SNP testing may be required with BigY due to low confidence read on a specific SNP. However if you relied only on SNP testing you would be guaranteed to have to test and retest each time an update to his branch occurs. Additionally those updates may not even be found without having your fathers results out there as it takes 2 men having the same mutation to get those novel variant snps added to the tree.
Old 28th November 2017, 02:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

R-S21301

My Big-Y results from batch 774 finally came back. It moved me further down the tree.
R-S16218 -> S13759 -> S21301

This gives me two Big-Y surname matches: Newman and Simony.
There are 8 unnamed variants of high confidence.

No new subclade formed but it adds me to R-S21301. How far back in time does this haplogroup come from?