Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Recreation Room

Recreation Room This is a good place for chatting about off topic subjects and just having fun together. Keep the humor PG13 and things friendly please.

Old 11th May 2017, 11:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

"So, they find there was a small number of Neolithic farmers in southern Greece who descended from an earlier migration, from the Levant (Jordan, Israel, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon) and southwestern Anatolia. These southern Greek farmers were not descendants of the later northwest Anatolian migration. Is this possibly what the Eurogenes HG vs. farmer calculator is referring to with its "Mediterranean farmer" category?"

Ok, this could very well be it. I do remember reading somewhere that there were hypothesized to be more than one group of farmers who left the Levant/Anatolia by different routes. So very interesting to me the wide distribution across so much of Europe. Even with this being so many thousands of years ago the FTDNA My Origins gives me 9% South Eastern Europe and a 5% Asia Minor ancestry along with the expected British Isles, Scandinavian and Central European ancestry. Everything you referred to in the quotes about supports that this ancestry is still evident today. I am definitely going to read the article from the link you provided.
Old 12th May 2017, 01:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

I wonder if my Dad's results are picking up results he gets on other tests hinting at some ancestry from the Levant region as Middle Eastern? He is mostly British with some distant Irish and some brick walls (He gets 1.1% Eastern European, 0.3% Middle Eastern North African and 0.1% AJ at 23andme, 17% Med Islander at DNALand, above average East Med/Red Sea at Gedmatch for a Brit and I get Jewish at Ancestry which my Mum doesn't):
Anatolian Farmer 9.32
Baltic Hunter Gatherer 53.05
Middle Eastern Herder 2.30
South American Hunter Gatherer -
South Asian Hunter Gatherer 0.59
East African Pastoralist 0.07
Oceanian Hunter Gatherer 0.34
Mediterranean Farmer 34.33

I also get the same amount of Middle Eastern Herder but my Mum gets none!

Last edited by Boudicca1; 12th May 2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 1st August 2017, 02:45 AM
MtDNA: U3a | Big Y Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudicca1 View Post
I wonder if my Dad's results are picking up results he gets on other tests hinting at some ancestry from the Levant region as Middle Eastern? He is mostly British with some distant Irish and some brick walls (He gets 1.1% Eastern European, 0.3% Middle Eastern North African and 0.1% AJ at 23andme, 17% Med Islander at DNALand, above average East Med/Red Sea at Gedmatch for a Brit and I get Jewish at Ancestry which my Mum doesn't):
Anatolian Farmer 9.32
Baltic Hunter Gatherer 53.05
Middle Eastern Herder 2.30
South American Hunter Gatherer -
South Asian Hunter Gatherer 0.59
East African Pastoralist 0.07
Oceanian Hunter Gatherer 0.34
Mediterranean Farmer 34.33

I also get the same amount of Middle Eastern Herder but my Mum gets none!
Do you get any Jewish Diaspora with My Origins?
Old 1st August 2017, 08:58 AM
FTDNA Customer

Does it all make sense? Our autosomal DNA contains info only from the latest 10 generations or so. All characteristics related to farmers\hunters from thousands years ago were completely replaced with more modern DNA.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 1st August 2017, 10:18 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B198251 View Post
Does it all make sense? Our autosomal DNA contains info only from the latest 10 generations or so. All characteristics related to farmers\hunters from thousands years ago were completely replaced with more modern DNA.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
What I have found is that the whole world was a melting pot for DNA during the 18th Century facilitated by the age of sail. Very few people recognize the possibilities. Basically all admixture analyses are undermined by bad assumptions. They make good parlour games and are entertaining, but are not worth expending too much effort in trying to figure them out at this stage.

Jack Wyatt
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:42 AM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie_Robinson View Post
"So, they find there was a small number of Neolithic farmers in southern Greece who descended from an earlier migration, from the Levant (Jordan, Israel, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon) and southwestern Anatolia. These southern Greek farmers were not descendants of the later northwest Anatolian migration. Is this possibly what the Eurogenes HG vs. farmer calculator is referring to with its "Mediterranean farmer" category?"

Ok, this could very well be it. I do remember reading somewhere that there were hypothesized to be more than one group of farmers who left the Levant/Anatolia by different routes. So very interesting to me the wide distribution across so much of Europe. Even with this being so many thousands of years ago the FTDNA My Origins gives me 9% South Eastern Europe and a 5% Asia Minor ancestry along with the expected British Isles, Scandinavian and Central European ancestry. Everything you referred to in the quotes about supports that this ancestry is still evident today. I am definitely going to read the article from the link you provided.
I just started a new thread - see http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...11&postcount=1 - about a new study, "Genetic origins of the Minoans and Mycenaeans." You may want to read this, since it's relevant to points that have been discussed in this thread.
Old 4th August 2017, 05:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you. Will definitely read this. ^^^^^^^^