Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Y-DNA Lineage and Surname Project Forums > Stephens-Stevens Y-DNA Testing Project

Old 11th July 2016, 02:36 PM
FTDNA Customer

Connecticut Stevens/Stephens

Has anyone connected to a Connecticut Stephens family? I am searching for Elisha born about 1805 there.
He moved to Marshall County, Mississippi and then on into the Florida Parishes area of Louisiana.
Someone sent me information that he moved further going to Texas where he died but I couldn't locate records for that.

Stevo I checked Wheeling, Virginia and found an Elisha there. I got the Connecticut birthplace off of the 1850 Mississippi Census so there could be a mistake there.

All I was saying is that Auguston is a strange name as is Augustus when it comes to Stevens/Stephens families and I felt like that Auguston might connect to the ones in Yazoo County and that it wouldn't hurt to take a look at James A since he doesn't tie into mine that I could find.

Happy hunting!
Old 11th July 2016, 06:20 PM
Junior Moderator

Not the right people to be my family. Sorry.
Old 14th July 2016, 09:53 PM
Junior Moderator

There has actually been some progress on my y-dna line since I originally began posting in this thread. One of my close Stevens matches hired a crackerjack genealogist to research the family, and she turned up some very interesting information based on the fact that a number of my closest 111-marker matches trace their mdkas to Fayette County, Pennsylvania.

It looks like our group came up from Ellicott's Mills, Maryland (now Ellicott City) and were big time Methodists, several of them even serving as Methodist preachers.

More later.
Old 15th December 2017, 09:18 AM
Junior Moderator

Quite a lot has changed since I last visited FTDNA's forum and posted in this thread, thanks to the Big Y, supplemented by traditional paper trail genealogy.

Thus far, the Big Y has uncovered the SNP FGC36974, which is shared by all of the Stephens/Stevens matches in my group. Our most recent common y-dna ancestor appears to have been born about 1650 AD. Under FGC36974, two of us (myself and one other Big Y-tested Stevens) share the terminal SNP FGC36982. Two other Big Y-tested Stevenses share the terminal SNP PF5064 under FGC36974, and they are FGC36982-.

All of these SNPs are under Y8426 (FGC5572), which is under DF41/CTS2501.