Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 13th June 2018, 04:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

Chromosome browser for Y-DNA matches

I've been building up a profile of family lines with DNA Painter but I have a problem. I have many more known maternal matches in the Family Finder database that known paternal ones.
I'm interested to know why I can't use the chromosome browser with Y-DNA matches. I don't mean just with Y-DNA, I mean why are the people you match Y-DNA with not available to browse in the chromosome browser?

Thanks
Lyndon Giles
Old 13th June 2018, 07:00 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Because comparing Y-DNA and autosomal DNA (atDNA) is like comparing apples to oranges. You can't compare them in the chromosome browser, which is set up for autosomal chromosomes #1-22 plus the X chromosome. You have two of each autosomal chromosome, #1-22, plus two X chromosomes if you are female, one set from each parent. Males get one X and one Y chromosome.

Y-DNA is made up of STRs and SNPs, and your matches are compared to those markers to determine how they are related to you. It is a different type of comparison than how autosomal results are compared.

Lastly, roughly half of the people you match autosomally are females, so even if you could compare atDNA with Y-DNA, it wouldn't work for your female autosomal matches.
Old 13th June 2018, 07:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

Hi Kat,

I see you didn't read my question properly. Or perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I said I don't want to use Y-DNA in the Chromosome browser. I want to test the people I match with (via Y-DNA) in the Chromosome browser. Not just their Y-DNA but ALL their DNA. Now obviously they don't share enough DNA to show up in the Family Finder match list but if they're a close enough match with Y-DNA (say Y-37 or above) then posting the results for use in the Chromosome browser could still have meaning.

Cheers
Lyndon
Old 13th June 2018, 08:28 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

If your Y-DNA matches have done the Family Finder test and if they share any meaningful autosomal DNA (above the minimum threshold set by the test)with you, they will show up in your FF match list and you can compare them in the chromosome browser.
Old 14th June 2018, 07:36 AM
FTDNA Customer

FTDNA does not include the Y Chromosome in the Chromosome Browser.
Old 14th June 2018, 09:18 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
I've been building up a profile of family lines with DNA Painter but I have a problem. I have many more known maternal matches in the Family Finder database that known paternal ones.
I'm interested to know why I can't use the chromosome browser with Y-DNA matches. I don't mean just with Y-DNA, I mean why are the people you match Y-DNA with not available to browse in the chromosome browser?

Thanks
Lyndon Giles
Those people aren't available to see in the Chromosome Browser because even though they are Y-DNA matches and may descend from a common ancestor the distant between you and this match may be so distant (3rd cousins - 5th cousins and beyond) that the chance of sharing no considerable autosomal DNA is fairly high.
Old 14th June 2018, 12:53 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Lyndon, I guess I didn't understand what you meant, and probably still don't, but I hope that the others who have posted have answered your question sufficiently.
Old 14th June 2018, 01:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

"Matching" doesn't mean the same thing for the Y chromosome as it does for the autosomes. The Y chromosome doesn't recombine (very tiny section at the end, homologous to the X chromosome, is an exception), so EVEN IF someone had tested both for the Family Finder and Big Y (using very different methods), the chromosome browser, designed to show matching SEGMENTS, wouldn't produce a useful result. Rather, we interpret Y chromosome DNA by comparing a relatively small number of STR's and, with the Big Y, a greater number of SNP's that rarely mutate (over a period of centuries) and which provide a way to place the Y chromosome on a haplotree. By contrast, recombination and the random assortment of homologous chromosomes at each generation has the effect of making matches more distant than about 5 or 6 generations very difficult to detect.

The information we can glean from the autosomes and the Y chromosome are fundamentally different. While someone might be able to come up with a way to display the information produced by a combination of the Family Finder and the Big Y tests in a way that is informative, it's not going to be easy, and it is definitely not here yet!
Old 14th June 2018, 06:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
... I see you didn't read my question properly. Or perhaps I wasn't clear enough.
No "perhaps" about it - your original post wasn't clear. It could be (and was) interpreted in more than two different ways. I took a completely different meaning from it, but thankfully didn't post.

There's also no need to be rude to KATM. KATM is a long-standing contributor to these forums, with replies that are to the point and helpful. If you have to post a clarification, it's always better to assume that your post wasn't clear, rather than telling someone (who took time out of their life to reply to you) that they didn't read it "properly".