Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 10th January 2017, 08:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Sephardic Jewish Maternal Line Descent

I'm not sure where the best place for this post is, but I would like to create more interest in mtDNA testing for Sephardic Jews, and I'm interested in any suggestions.

I had no prior knowledge of Jewish ancestry on my mother's side, but when I took the mtDNA full sequence test, it revealed a number of coding region matches who were Sephardi Jews. Mostly Jews from Morocco who understand their ancestry to trace back to Spain and the Inquisition.

I found it fascinating that I may have Sephardic Jewish maternal line ancestry, even if it does go back a number of generations. But it was discouraging to see a mere 51 people who took the mtDNA full sequence test identify Morocco as their country of maternal line origin.

I am certain that a larger population of Sephardic Jews taking the mtDNA full sequence test would result in more matches, and more information for all of us, but how do I go about creating interest?

On a separate note, Family Tree DNA makes it extraordinarily difficult for people to identify their ancestry so it appears in the Comments column of the mtDNA Ancestral Origins page. I had to reach out to all of my Sephardic matches individually, and each of them in turn had to contact Family Tree DNA via e-mail, and make a special request. Why not incorporate this into the profile page?
Old 11th January 2017, 12:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerodav View Post
I'm not sure where the best place for this post is, but I would like to create more interest in mtDNA testing for Sephardic Jews, and I'm interested in any suggestions.

I had no prior knowledge of Jewish ancestry on my mother's side, but when I took the mtDNA full sequence test, it revealed a number of coding region matches who were Sephardi Jews. Mostly Jews from Morocco who understand their ancestry to trace back to Spain and the Inquisition.

I found it fascinating that I may have Sephardic Jewish maternal line ancestry, even if it does go back a number of generations. But it was discouraging to see a mere 51 people who took the mtDNA full sequence test identify Morocco as their country of maternal line origin.

I am certain that a larger population of Sephardic Jews taking the mtDNA full sequence test would result in more matches, and more information for all of us, but how do I go about creating interest?

On a separate note, Family Tree DNA makes it extraordinarily difficult for people to identify their ancestry so it appears in the Comments column of the mtDNA Ancestral Origins page. I had to reach out to all of my Sephardic matches individually, and each of them in turn had to contact Family Tree DNA via e-mail, and make a special request. Why not incorporate this into the profile page?
I think they could do a better job. In addition I joined a project specific to my ancestry and the project manager for some arbitrary reason deleted the paternal and maternal ancestor columns. I complained to the project manager who totally ignored my emails and also complained to FTDNA who also ignored my email. The process certainly could use some streamlining making it more customer friendly. If people don't want anyone to know their maternal and paternal ancestors identity or country of origin they certainly have the option not to share the information however for those of use who have an interest in collaborating the information the process could certainly be more friendly and practical.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:32 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

You don't state what your haplogroup is. Perhaps it's one of the specific subclades of T2e ( T2e1 and T2e5) that has been found among Sephardic Jews.

There are a couple of scientific papers on this at http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v...g2011200a.html and https://www.esciencecentral.org/jour....php?aid=20717. The defining coding region mutations for the T2e5 Sephardic subclade are 2308G and 14499T, along with the usual HVR1/HVR2 mutations found in all T2e subclades.

Although my haplogroup is T2e, I'm not in either of the two subclades that have been found to be associated with Sephardic ancestry.
Old 11th January 2017, 03:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

My haplogroup is H1, which seems pretty generic, and made the discovery of these Moroccan Jewish coding region matches all the more surprising.