Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 13th December 2016, 11:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks for the help!

Thanks! I am the administrator of his account so I checked it as you suggested. Results expected by end of Dec. or early January. And I wasn't charged for shipping.
Old 1st January 2017, 12:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

My recommendation...

I would still recommend that you later request his sample to be used for a Y test, if FTDNA allows that. Testing sons is certainly good, but the older the sampler, the closer you are by a generation to the antecedent male, and 67 or over markers will be very good. Then you can use lower-marker test for a son, if there are any questions on that head.

We recently got Family Finder for a living male (whose results we manage) who has transferred Y results from Ancestry. He is quite old, and we may try to "upgrade" his Y results from the Family Finder sample, since he has no accessible sons.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with that?
Old 2nd January 2017, 06:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
We recently got Family Finder for a living male (whose results we manage) who has transferred Y results from Ancestry. He is quite old, and we may try to "upgrade" his Y results from the Family Finder sample, since he has no accessible sons.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with that?
The sample provided for the Family Finder test is a DNA sample. It isn't a sample for a particular type of test. Many people get Y-DNA, mtDNA and atDNA results from the same sample
Old 10th January 2017, 11:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks, Jim....

That is what I suspected, and the same answer was rec'd from two other forum members (but not "offically"by any FTDNA person).
Old 11th January 2017, 05:48 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
That is what I suspected, and the same answer was rec'd from two other forum members (but not "offically"by any FTDNA person).
I'm a FTDNA customer just like you. I am a volunteer project admin.