Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 10th January 2017, 04:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

A couple of relatives share a good 40+cM segment with a 1/2 3C1R . She wasn't even on my radar when she popped up as a very weak match on the first kits I manage (even with a family name I know, but on her tree the location was too vague)

The relative with the 44cM+ segment did comment that maybe they got more from this line. I wouldn't draw that conclusion. All it means is that they and the 1/2 3C1R got the SAME segment from their mutual gtgtgt-grandfather (and a 4C got most of it too). Other descendants most likely have similar amounts from the mutual ancestor. Just not ones that match so well.
Old 24th January 2017, 12:49 PM
YDNA - U106>FGC5798

First Cousin 1R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
Because of recombination over the generations in both lines, only about 50% of 4th cousins share enough DNA to be declared a match in an autosomal DNA test. So, you and your 4th cousin probably fall in the 50% who don't share enough DNA to be considered a match.

Although autosomal tests can find 5th and more distant cousins, it's only reliable out to about 3rd cousins. The figure for 2nd cousins is about 99% sharing enough DNA to be declared a match. It's about 90% for 3rd cousins.
Michael, can you tell me what the % of matches should be for 1st cousin 1R? I have a 1C1R who tested and we have no matches on FTDNA. Something not right methinks?
Old 24th January 2017, 01:47 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0pcat View Post
Michael, can you tell me what the % of matches should be for 1st cousin 1R? I have a 1C1R who tested and we have no matches on FTDNA. Something not right methinks?
Virtually every set of 1st cousin 1R should come up as close matches. If the two of you aren't on each other's match list, then something is definitely amiss. One or the other of you may not be the biological offspring of a parent who raised you.

The easiest thing to do to check out if you two are related is for both of you to upload your raw data to GEDmatch, where you can directly compare to each other. Then you can see if there are shared segments of 7.0 cM or more. If not, that confirms one of you has an NPE.
Old 24th January 2017, 03:33 PM
YDNA - U106>FGC5798

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
Virtually every set of 1st cousin 1R should come up as close matches. If the two of you aren't on each other's match list, then something is definitely amiss. One or the other of you may not be the biological offspring of a parent who raised you.

The easiest thing to do to check out if you two are related is for both of you to upload your raw data to GEDmatch, where you can directly compare to each other. Then you can see if there are shared segments of 7.0 cM or more. If not, that confirms one of you has an NPE.
Thanks Michael, that's what I was afraid of. I'm on Gedmatch so I'll have to persuade my cousin to upload hers. Looks like one of us could be in for an unfortunate surprise!
Old 24th January 2017, 05:34 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0pcat View Post
Thanks Michael, that's what I was afraid of. I'm on Gedmatch so I'll have to persuade my cousin to upload hers. Looks like one of us could be in for an unfortunate surprise!
I should add that the NPE may not involve you or your cousin. It may involve your relevant parent or her relevant parent.