• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tpratt
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2018

Sub Grouping

I just started co-administering the Pratt family group and have a couple of questions about formatting.

First, I've been looking at some of the other family groups and noticed that the display of the sub groups start with mix/max/model STR rows for that sub group. How do you get those to display?

Second, the colorized display shows STR markers that deviate from the model. What model is used? None of my sub groups display a min/max/model string of STRs.

Thanks for any help!
    Tom
  • Jim Barrett
    R-BY55907
    • Apr 2003

Mean, Max and Modal are calculated for each sub-group.

Sorry, I can't find the answer to how to turn this on.

Comment

• travers
      FTDNA Customer
      • Oct 2010

I think as Jim said it is done automatically within the subgroups you create and I believe the min, max and mode only show in the "Y-DNA Colorized Chart" (not the Classic Chart). Most projects group the men into lineages by determining who matches who. It looks like your Pratt project used to be on the Worldfamilies site, not sure if this helps but this is how they had it grouped before:

Comment

• tpratt
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jan 2018

Sub Group question

Thanks both of you for your answers. I see it automatically created a min/max/mode for the Haplotype T sub group which I just added.

Does any one know if the min/max/mode values are an average of the individuals I place in a sub group? The reason I'm asking is I want to compare some of my R1b people to the min/max/mode of L21 for further refining my R1b sub group.

Comment

• tpratt
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jan 2018

Sub Group question

Travers,
          Thanks for that link!!!!! You're right, the Pratt group was saved at the last minute. I much preferred their groups!

Comment

• Jim Barrett
            R-BY55907
            • Apr 2003

tpratt,

You can put members in the same type of sub-groups yourself.

Once upon a time long long ago FTDNA told us what MIN, MAX and MODE meant. Then they developed the "Learning Center" and I never can find the answer to my question.

A Google Search for MODE says it is the value that occurs most often.

Comment

• tpratt
              FTDNA Customer
              • Jan 2018

Sub Group question

Jim,
              Thanks for the reply. I've really been enjoying all the spreadsheet stuff! I just love looking at data. Having the printout from the World Families Network really was a huge help. I'm going to try and hunt down the patriarchs page, too. I've been randomly clicking on surname forums to see how each administrator has their project setup. I found one that uses the results page to display the patriarchs, which I really like.

Thanks for the help!
              Tom Pratt

Comment

• travers
                FTDNA Customer
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by tpratt View Post
                Jim,
                Thanks for the reply. I've really been enjoying all the spreadsheet stuff! I just love looking at data. Having the printout from the World Families Network really was a huge help. I'm going to try and hunt down the patriarchs page, too. I've been randomly clicking on surname forums to see how each administrator has their project setup. I found one that uses the results page to display the patriarchs, which I really like.

Thanks for the help!
                Tom Pratt
                There is also a good 3rd party grouping app that was created here:

Also in GAP you can use the "Y-DNA Genetic Distance" tool although it is a little cumbersome to use, set it to search for matches at 37 markers as the 12 marker default isn't enough markers to reliably group members.

Yes, the Worldfamiles site was great for the Patriarch pages, I used to have a project there and miss that feature. You can view the Pratt Patriarch page from the link I gave you before (just scroll up to the headings) or just go here:

Unfortunately, FTDNA doesn't have a place for a Patriarch page within their project pages and with the new GDPR compliance rules I am unsure what would and wouldn't be allowed. I would be interested in seeing how other projects go about this, it looks like most projects don't display pedigrees at all and just leave it up to the individual members to post their own family tree on their individual account.
                Last edited by travers; 29 July 2018, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• tpratt
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jan 2018

Sub Groups

Travers,
                  Thanks again for the link! I couldn't figure out how to work the Wayback Machine. That sure brings back memories of Peabody's Improbable History (maybe I'm aging myself). I hadn't thought about the privacy issue. I wonder if I bring the pedigrees down to approximately 1900, and leave off kit numbers, maybe that would be considered 'de-identified' enough.

Comment

• rivergirl
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Jul 2006

I list Paternal Lineages in several of Projects I Co Admin, usually on the "Results" page of the "About Section".
                    We list the Kit Number and Surname.
                    We usually have the male ancestor name, date and place of birth and death and the wifes name.
                    I usually don't post anyone born after ~1900.
                    It depends on what information is supplied by the member.

Comment

• The_Contemplator
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Jun 2015

The min/max/mode stuff is automatically calculated based on the kits you have in that subgroup. The min being the smallest value (minimum) any kit in the subgroup has and max being the biggest value (maximum) any kit in the subgroup has there. The mode (or modal) is a math term for a value that appears the most. So the mode will show the most common STR values the kits in the subgroup are shown to have.

As for how to use the wayback machine, go to archive.org. At the top type the URL of the site you wish to locate. Remember they won't have them all. When you do find a page and you are trying to use one of the links to navigate to a different page, you may have to adjust the link shown near the top. Remove the date and place an asterisk to show that page from a different recorded date.

Comment

Working...
                      X