Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 14th May 2018, 02:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

AncestryDNA before Y-DNA test

Howdy! I transferred my AncestryDNA autosomal results to FTDNA last month. Since then, I have ordered a Y-DNA37 test from FTDNA. I have seen comments on these boards eluding to AnestryDNA and 23andMe “polluting” this database. Will my family finder be “re-ran” on my FTDNA test as part of my Y-DNA test, or will my AncestryDNA results continue to
be used for family finder?

Thanks!
Old 14th May 2018, 06:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

YDNA tests by FTDNA test the yDNA STR values. These are not included in any autosomal test.

A new collection kit will be sent and you will have to submit a cheek swab before FTDNA can do additional testing.

Your autosomal results (ancestry transfer) will not change as the yDNA STR will only be tested.

In order to update your transfer you will have to order FamilyFinder. In order to that, you would have to contact FTDNA directly if you wanted it linked with yDNA account, they will remove transfer and retest on their family finder testing chip

otherwise you can order it on a new account (new collection kit will be sent)if you wish to retain your ancestry transfers results.
Old 14th May 2018, 07:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

@bheathain

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
YDNA tests by FTDNA test the yDNA STR values. These are not included in any autosomal test.

A new collection kit will be sent and you will have to submit a cheek swab before FTDNA can do additional testing.

Your autosomal results (ancestry transfer) will not change as the yDNA STR will only be tested.

In order to update your transfer you will have to order FamilyFinder. In order to that, you would have to contact FTDNA directly if you wanted it linked with yDNA account, they will remove transfer and retest on their family finder testing chip

otherwise you can order it on a new account (new collection kit will be sent)if you wish to retain your ancestry transfers results.
If you keep two kits and Y DNA results are with your Ancestry transfer, that is not a good scenario.

Why? Confusion? Possibly. However, more importantly you would not be able to properly cross-reference your Y DNA and autosomal matches.

A better choice is to have a separate account for your Ancestry transfer and a separate account for all tests done at FTDNA.

It might be debatable whether the best choice is to remove the Ancestry transfer altogether, but if you go that route you do not need two accounts.

Mr. W.