• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfnative
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2016

Found family

My father was adopted in 1924. We never knew any of his family - the only thing we had to go on was a birth certificate. After taking the FTDNA, at least I knew what my genetics were and set out on my search. I found my father's mother and her whole family that immigrated from Italy to the US in 1889. His birth mother lived right under our noses in San Francisco much of our lives. She changed her name frequently probably to avoid us finding her. The sad thing is that I am unsure of his father as she put "unknown" on the birth certificate; although I have an pretty good lead. Once I found her, I checked Census Bureau records, SF directories, and whatever else I could find that could put her puzzle together. Once I put the pieces together, to me, it seems she did him a favor by giving him up. I do think that, if her parents were alive, they would not have let her do that coming from such a large family. With the knowledge I have of her, I'm still glad I found out all this information because for years, I always wondered what my roots were. Now I know, and frankly, it has empowered me to know why I think, act, and feel the way I do. It all makes sense now as to why, every year, I love to make corned beef & cabbage on St. Paddy's day, why I love pasta dinners on Sundays, why I always knew that we'd come from the "working stiffs"; and why I am "rough around the edges"......
  • 1/2finn
    FTDNA Customer
    • Nov 2014

Congrats! I am still searching for my birth father. Glad you had success.

Comment

Working...
    X